1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An odd opportunity today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 3, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

After a storm on Tuesday knocked out power at some gyms, two high school boys basketball games had to be picked up Saturday and played from the point at which the lights went out.

I went to one of them, which started with 3:30-something left in the third quarter.

About a hundred people turned up to watch the 11-minute "game."

Kinda odd. The team that was up 14 went on to win, but you can imagine all kinds of possible complications if the team that's up comes out and starts throwing bricks.

My one regret – no one on either team had a birthday since Tuesday. That would have made a good lede.

Also, I think all high school basketball games should be 11 minutes long. I was out of there in 35 minutes.

2. e4

e4 Member

a few years back, i remember hearing of a hs baseball game having to be resumed the next day because of darkness the night before. the away team has about an hour's travel both ways; they get off the bus on day 2, pick things up with the bases loaded and their first batter ends it with a grand slam. at least they had the victory for the bus ride home.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

What complications?

Why?

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seems like starting a game 17 and ending it 18 would be pretty unique.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you think so. I sure don't.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I would find that interesting.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I would, too. It would make me want to keep reading to figure out why.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And I can understand that. I'm just rationalizing for Henry.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

So the kid is four days older ... whoop-de-damn-doo. They're all four days older than when the game started.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When I was in high school (ancient history), we played about nine innings, then it got dark. We had to go back down there a couple of days later and we played one inning and lost. We got hosed because our ace pitcher was out of the game. Their ace pitcher went to play second base after he was pulled from the mound. So he was still in the game and could come back and pitch again. We had to go with our left fielder.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i gotta buy you a beer scotch one day.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can the visiting team hit a game-ending home run?

Draft saved Draft deleted