1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Odd Ommision of Fact in NYT Story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the grand scheme not a big deal but it bugs me so I thought I would put it out to the experts.

On Monday a story appeared in the NYT by Pete Bigelow about Michigan Defensive Coordinator Greg Mattison.

Story talks about Mattison's role in Michigan's turn around, his long term relationship with Hoke and his previous coaching positions.

What it leaves out is that Mattison was the co defensive coordinator for Florida when they won the national championship in 2006.

Seems like a glaring omission to those that closely follow college football.

Could Bigelow not have been aware of this ? Was it left out on purpose?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/03/sports/ncaafootball/sugar-bowl-michigans-defensive-turnaround-forged-by-friendship.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=greg%20mattison&st=cse

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Those who closely follow college football probably aren't reading the NYT.

3. Boom_70

They would be missing out on Pete Thamel then, who puts out a lot of good college football stories.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A) The story was more about their relationship so, no, it doesn't bother me that it was omitted.
    B) It could have been in the original story when an editor took it out for something like lack of space or A)

5. Boom_70

But in writing about Mattison body of work leaving out the fact that he was defensive coordinator at Florida seems like a glaring omission.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You run down his resume to make the case that he's been successful. Doesn't mean you have to use all of it. Glaring would be if the case wasn't made otherwise. The continued connection to Hoke seemed more important.

7. Boom_70

But wouldn't being the defensive coordinator on a National Championship team be the ultimate in success.

Perhaps it was something he did not want to talk about with Meyer now at Ohio State.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I read it again, and it doesn't appear that he's even trying to the make the success case. It's more how Mattison and Hoke keep reconnecting. On that line of thinking, the stint at Florida might have been interesting to work in there, but to me it just doesn't seem necessary.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm with Boom here. I'd have added it to the story if I were copy editing it.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yep, it should have been mentioned. That's an important piece of his body of work, and while the parts of his resume that are mentioned show his ties to that WMU staff, the fact the story is also about Michigan's defensive turnaround, the fact he won a national title at UF should be worked in there somewhere.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Send 'em an email and tell 'em you're a proud grandpa.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Mattison may have been "co-defensive coordinator" but Charlie Strong ran that show. When the hacks needed to talk to a defensive coach, they hardly ever went to Mattison.

Draft saved Draft deleted