1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Interesting Take on Bush Presidency

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 15, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ace - so far on this thread which you deem "stupid crap" you already have 3 posts.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Stupid can be fun, Boom.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I am still rapt with curiosity over the original author of this "interesting" take.

4. Boom_70

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just wondering why everyone has to be so absolutist. Yeah, Bush crippled Al Queda and attacked Afghanistan to drive the Taliban out. Why does it hurt anyone to acknowledge the truths about things he's done? Al Queda's infrastructure has undoubtedly been weakened because of things we have done since 9/11, such as freezing bank accounts, cutting off communication, etc.

Those are also things that HAD to be done and it doesn't really make a great statement about Bush's leadership that he did the things that just about ANY president would have done. That stuff was sort of a no-brainer stuff. What president WOULDN'T have send the U.S. military into Afghanistan after 9/11 or reevaluated how the FBI and CIA were communicating? Our intelligence and readiness for a terrorist attack prior to 9/11 were obviously weak. I don't blame Bush for that. No president before him was prepared for anything like that. As a country, we weren't expecting something like that.

If you want to laud Bush, though, it would make a much stronger case if you could say he had anticipated the threat that Al Queda was and did something proactively to prevent it from getting so strong. That would have made him a leader with vision, not the fact that we fought back AFTER we were attacked. That was the response ANYONE would have had.

And in fact, you can look at specific things we have done during the "War on Terror," and Iraq, from things that you probably shouldn't be pointing fingers about, for example, our inability to catch Osama Bin Laden, to things where we are clearly in the wrong, for example, how we are handling Guantanamo Bay, how we handled Abu Ghraib, etc., and conclude that we have gotten a ton wrong; probably more than we have gotten right.

As for liberating Iraq, that would be wonderful if we had liberated the place and created a stable, safe country where Iraqis were now better off. But the place is now a mess and we are mired in a military conflict that has overextended our capabilities and put lives at risk. To stop at "we liberated Iraq" kind of misses the point of the mess it is now and how our mismanagement and not planning for what might happen has caused that mess.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice, reasoned post from Ragu.

7. Boom_70

Ragu - well said. Exactly the type of observation I was hoping for in starting thread.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No it wasn't.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Here's something for both Boom and Ragu. I caught part of this interview on Sunday night, and pursuant to our earlier arguments and agreements about the parallels between Iraq and Vietnam, think you'll both enjoy it. Note too, Moyers' candor in talking a little about his role at the time of LBJ's escalation.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/05112007/watch3.html

He's interviewing Marilyn B. Young, historian and co-editor of IRAQ AND THE LESSONS OF VIETNAM: OR, HOW NOT TO LEARN FROM THE PAST

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

DId you ever hear that political tune from the 60's that had this chorus....

Lyndon Johnson told the nation have no fear of escalation
    I am trying every one to please,
    and though it isn't really war
    we're sending 20,000 more
    to help save Vietnam from Vietnamese......

11. History is a cruel mistress, Boom. It also makes a lousy throw-rug.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can't believe someone actually compared WWII to Iraq. Yeah, that's a valid comparison.

Draft saved Draft deleted