1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An interesting read

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SCEditor, Feb 15, 2007.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

judge and jury.
    is 'self-righteous' your middle name?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is Peter Vescey your middle name?

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

vescey did not say he was the first to write it.

he didn't make that claim.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

if this blogger elliott had talked to vecsey - voiced his opinion on kobe in conversation - rather than writing it in a blog

and vescey had written a column expressing an opinion that had been shaped by his conversation with elliott, would that be plagiarism?

didn't vecsey 'steal' elliott's thoughts?

who owns thoughts and words?

only the Plagiarism Police know the answer.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Keep twisting, henri. I'm sure you'll find a pretzel you're comfortable gagging down eventually.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

profound ace.

you might as well have said "uncle".

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if you had talked to me and voiced your opinion on kobe in conversation - rather than writing it on SportsJournalists.com

and i had written a column expressing an opinion that had been shaped by my conversation with you, would that be plagiarism?

didn't i 'steal' your thoughts?

who owns thoughts and words?

only the Plagiarism Police know the answer.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I don't have any problem with Vescey talking to somebody and forming an opinion based on that discussion. I do have a problem with Vescey, receiving an e-mail or viewing a blog, copying almost word for word what it says and then passing it off as his original thought. There's a big difference between having your opinion shaped by somebody and cutting and pasting it into your column.

No, my middle name isn't self-righteous. Is your middle name Plagiarism Apologist?

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

"big difference" - not really.
    he had the guy's permission.
    he accepted elliott's point of view and relayed it.
    how do we know elliott owned it? there are millions of lakers fans with opinions on kobe - how many thousands shared the same opinion. who owns that opinion? elliott? vescey?

nobody owns it.

you are a Plagiarism Absolutist.
    you're like the Vatican in the time of Martin Luther - screaming 'heresy'.

it's just not as cut-and-dried as you make it out.

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Like I said before, I have no problem with accepting the guy's opinion and relaying it. I do have a problem with it being worded so similar in his column. That's where my objection stands.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

SCeditor,

you are a Plagiarism Absolutist.

you're like the Vatican in the time of Martin Luther - screaming 'heresy'.

it's just not as cut-and-dried as you make it out.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You can not, should not take another man's work and use it verbatim or near verbatim without attribution. There are parts of that Peter Vecsey column where he writes around the fact he received information for this blogger.

I don't know why this profession has such a huge fucking problem with this concept. DO YOUR OWN WORK. How can we expect to have the public's trust when we can't trust ourselves?

Draft saved Draft deleted