1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An interesting read

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SCEditor, Feb 15, 2007.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

off with his head!
    no mercy.
    and put his family in jail while you're at it.
    a disgrace to mankind.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm just making a point that even if you have permission, it's still plagiarism.

If plagiarism is OK in your book, that's peachy, too.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

if you have permission who is harmed?

speeding through a crowded crosswalk is different than speeding on an empty stretch of road.

the 'p' word turns otherwise normal compassionate people into bloodthirsty snarling wolves. not all plagiarism is equal - despite what the ideologues say.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Um, the readers? The same readers who think less and less of the media each and every day.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

it's like this, henri.

we are in class taking a test. you haven't studied so you copy off mine. i move my elbow so you can see my answers better.

who is harmed?

does that mean it's not cheating?

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

If that's your thoughts on any form of plagiarism, you should probably rethink your worth to this business. If you polled people in this business and asked them what they thought of plagiarism, they'd probably rank it as the worst sin you could commit.

And rightfully so.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

So now the people who read the LA Times know that the NY Post's supposed NBA insider has little or no credibility. Yup, people in LA really care about that.

And most of the people in NY already know Peter Vecsey has little or no credibility.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

My local newspaper carries an NHL hockey roundup, and I don't care. I'm going to cancel my subscription because of it.

And the columnist at the NY Post was writing about the LA Lakers, who I believe are located in LA, so I imagine a few people might have had some interest in what he said.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

false analogy.
    on a bell curve, the other students are harmed.

better analogy:
    a doctor performs the first heart transplant.
    he gives his notes and procedure to the doctor performing the second one.
    second doctor copies the first - saves a life.
    journalists watching the operation scream " plagiarism."

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK, Henry, if you want to play it that way.

If the second surgeon says he is the first to perform a heart transplant, your example works pretty well.

So that's OK with you that he takes credit for the work of the first doctor if the first doctor doesn't really care?

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I hope you're not in this business. And if you are, you shouldn't be.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think people in LA might be interested to know that a rabid Lakers fan and Kobe hater with a blog could get his thoughts published nearly verbatim by Vecsey.

Draft saved Draft deleted