1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An interesting read

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SCEditor, Feb 15, 2007.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I know people either love him or hate him, but here's T.J. Simers' latest offering on Kobe Bryant with an interesting twist about "possible" plagiarism.

Thoughts?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers15feb15,1,2891620.column?coll=la-headlines-sports

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Vecsey should be embarrassed.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Simers should be equally embarrassed. That is a piece of shit without an original thought in it.

4. how so? has somebody else written that Vecsey gets his ideas - and material - from a blogger? how is Simers' piece not original?

i like Vecsey but agree with SoSueMe on this

awfully embarrassing

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Embarrassed? He should be suspended.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I thought it was a very good column, and I'm not president of the Simers fan club.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Hey, I know most of us would be.

And, he should have his "Insider" title revoked.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, C'mon. You discount everything Simers does. Your assessment is a little off, don't you think?
    Maybe not the best column ever written. But, it was a reported column. That one didn't come off the top of the head.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Interesting column. I was on the plagarizing ship until I read this:

The letter read very much like the fan's blog and Elliott told Vecsey to use whatever he wanted in the newspaper, and obviously Vecsey did.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are using the guy's words and thoughts without attributing them, it's still plagiarism, even if you have permission.

11. da el g

da el g Member

great read, writers need to call out other writers on bs like this, is there some kind of unspoken code?

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm with you on that. But, here is one of the most well-connected guys in the industry. And he's copying almost verbatim something some nutcase wrote on a blog? "I've never seen the blog."

Draft saved Draft deleted