1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An interesting idea to possibly reduce CO2 levels in the atmosphere

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 21, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.physorg.com/news135820173.html

And here's a link to the project's home page, but it's slashdotted so good luck with that for a few hours.

Interesting idea on the surface: extract lime from limestone, add that lime to the world's oceans and double their ability to absorb CO2 from the atmosphere while at the same time reducing the ocean's current level of acidity, which at the level it's risen to is quite harmful to sea life, especially coral.

Removing the lime from the limestone requires high heat, thus causing CO2 expenditures, but adding that lime to the oceans (not all in one place, of course) would enable the oceans --- to absorb twice the level of CO2 created in the process. Project founders claim that by doing this, it would be possible to lower atmospheric CO2 levels back to pre-Industrial Revolution levels.

They have a bunch of links going into great detail about this, but their site's so overloaded right now that I can't get to any of them.

I like it, though. Has definite possibilities. Long-term effects have yet to be studied, however.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Great idea. Let's get the ball rolling!

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

For all the good that'll do.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is the best idea since bringing rabbits to Australia.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I prefer frozen lemons.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You put the lime in the ocean...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

In our saltwater tank (over 3,000 gallons in the entire system), my husband regularly puts lime in the tanks and it is amazing what it does for our corals. Once a month I buy every bottle of pickling lime that the grocery store has.

So, I would have to say that in theory it works. But on a scale as large as the ocean? Not sure about that.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Saved by the bouyancy of citrus!

[/hedberg]

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I like my idea better, but airplane manufacturers and the airline industry wouldn't go for it -- hybrid engines on airplanes.
    Let them use the jetfuel powered engines during takeoffs and landing, but while at cruising altitude during daylight hours, have them switch over to a solar-powered engine. You're above most of the clouds and have the sun right there, so why not take advantage of it?

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Nothing to say that can't be done as well ... you know, except for the airlines' plan to send their industry into a self-induced nose dive.

Draft saved Draft deleted