1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Interesting Career Move

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jun 14, 2006.

1. BigOleSportsFan

BigOleSportsFan New Member

Learn to read, pal. I commented on the one story of his I have read. Maybe everything else he has ever written has been genius, but I didn't comment on his entire body of work. I commented on one story. Take that for what it's worth.

I did not mean to rile up the wrath of the great and mighty BYH. With your 17 thousand careers posts you clearly know more than I.

2. didn't a guy down in augusta make a similar move (beat to front office), but it was on a much lower level?

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

if you read shaugnessey's column, which is linked on the main board's chris snow thread, it says he'll be starting his job with the wild "next month" so it sounds like he's only got a few more weeks, not months.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

The one scout I just got off the phone said it's a Joe job, not as attractive (or senior) as it sounds.

Other hockey scribes who've boasted about such offers (or simply lusted after them) Al Strachan, Red Fisher. Not sure how true their stories were.

YHS, etc

5. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I too, am wondering about the "silver spoon" comment. Who's his dad/contact/leg up? And the bottom line, I guess, is that you still have to make it on your own. Red Sox at 24 and then making a move on his own terms? The kid made it on his own

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yet you come on and smear his name after reading one story.

Dumb fucking ass.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

My guess is the kid got a fancy title, but will be doing joe-jobs with the promise of learning and perhaps progressing.
    But he'd be naive to think he'll be a GM one day. In the hockey world, there is only derision for anyone who never played the game at a serious level.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

chris snow leaving the globe for the wild speaks more to the absurdity of that nhl franchise than it does to the state of journalism and the boston globe. best of luck to him. he'll need it. then again, his luck has been darn good thus far.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

This kid sounds damn bright, so if your organizational philosophy is "get as many good people on board as possible," he sounds like he fits the bill, even without the organizational experience. No matter what some of these morons (Isiah) want us to believe, their not neurosurgeons, so a guy who's 25 and bright will probably be a killer by the time he's 30 ... and the Wild are probably getting him on the relative cheap.

BTW, B&B, if you're going to be chickenshit and take a cheapshot, at least stand behind it in your anonymity as opposed to trying to act like you had no beef with the guy.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Come on, people. I don't know Chris Snow from a snowcone, but the Wild aren't just gonna hire a guy because they like him. I'm sure they think he's got the same thing any first-round pick of theirs has - talent and potential. They think he's already good, and he's young, so he's gonna get better, and getting him now will probably be cheaper and easier than doing so in 5-10 years. So why not? He's got to be a hard-worker to have had a beat like he had, and I have no doube he's very intelligent. So where's the problem here? He can learn. Assistant GM or whatever it is isn't brain surgery - a little training, a little experience and he'll get it fine.

I think it's just jealousy from people on here that he's done more and been more successful by age 25 than some will ever be. Which just tells me he's more mature than most, too.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Shackleford,

Comparing the Wild's first-rounders and Snow ... interesting, maybe even apropos. Does that mean he's Gaborik or Brent Burns? (hiockey joke)

YHS, etc

12. insideman

insideman Member

I don't know what the Wild are thinking, but I can tell you that the silver spoon stuff is crap. Snow is bright, aggressive and talented. He interned for the Globe, cut his teeth in Minnesota and was asked back to Boston. The Globe has undergone a youth movement in recent years. They hired Shira Springer to cover the Celtics in much the same manner.
    I've heard that he'll only make $40-50,000 in his new job. It's not like he's becoming the GM. He's going to be a cross-checker of contracts and statistics, things like that. It's not brain surgery but it's a good way for him to break into the business. He has little to lose. He's good enough that if it doesn't work out he can easily move back to writing.
    That said, there are people in the Fenway press box who aren't shedding any tears. He can be a bit brash and arrogant, although he's never been nasty to anyone, and I'm sure there's the age thing that rubs some people the wrong way.
    One more thing: about this business of immediately removing him from the beat? Am I missing something? Where's the conflict? It's not like he accepted a job at the Herald. He's moving to an entirely different job in an entirely different setting.
    OK, one more thing: Amalie Benjamin is in no way ready to take over that beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted