1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Interesting Career Move

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jun 14, 2006.

1. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

So I guess this means the Red Sox gig is open come the end of summer? (Perfect time for Snow, right before the playoffs)

Quick question to those who have been in the business a lot longer than I, which is pretty much everybody on this web site. Do you take Snow off the beat as of tomorrow and put him on desk until his new job starts or is he done at the Globe already and will take the next few months off?

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Good for Chris. If it's his passion, and something he wanted to do, then fantastic. And the joy of it is, he doesn't have to explain himself to anyone. I hope nothing but the best for him!

3. rascalface

rascalface Member

So "the desk" at a major metro is some kind of punishment? Sheesh, here I thought I was a real, live journalist.

4. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Maybe Jeff Passan gets the Red Sox job?

5. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I never said it was punishment. It was a simple and easy question, do they take him off the beat and put him on desk or GA or fuck, stick him in the closet for the next two months... take your pick.

6. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

And, no, his old man won't help him land it. He could get it simply on reputation (which his old man helped him orchestrate years ago).

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Ray Kinsella: Punishing someone for changing professions is too stupid even for newspaper management. Chris will gradually do less on the Red Sox beat in the next few months, while his replacement, who will be Amalie Benjamin, gradually does more and more (she was already writing a healthy chunk of Sox stuff). The goal is to make the transition as near seamless as possible.
    BTW, if Chris is taking the Wild job because it strikes him as a wonderful life adventure, and his public comments indicate that's the case, then my sincerest congratulations to him. That's the attitude people should bring to their careers every day, but it's never a wiser path than when one is Snow's age.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

wtf? are we to beieve snow has given the globe two months notice and they're good with that? he's gotta be outta there.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why? Someone leaving doesn't have to be a bitter situation.

I'd be appreciative of an employee who gave me that much notice. Employers who get pissed when an employee goes elsewhere are probably assholes in other areas, too.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i respectfully disagree. snow's a lame duck in a very competitive business and market. i'd get him right off the beat. the  globe's got the personnel to survive.

besides, his head is already elsewhere. he's gone.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Absolutely agree.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

by the way, i totally support snow's move. who wouldn't? i wouldn't yank him off the beat out of spite. just seems like the right way to go to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted