1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An incredibly sad, well-reported, well-written profile ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by militantoysterdog, Jan 29, 2007.

1. I don't read the Daily News much. But this was great.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/492483p-414846c.html

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That was a good article. Not very well-edited, its arrested, not arrrested, but shows the power of being there as opposed to doing it on the phone.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How long til they write that story about 4th-and-26 Freddie Mitchell?

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Good story.

Sloppy, slopping editing all over it.

I'd have preferred to see most of the player-assistance stuff as short sider. I thought it got away of the human story a little bit. I'd have left some of the too-proud-to-ask-for-help stuff in the main story but pulled most of the rest of it out as a short separate.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It seems like I'm reading one of these profiles of ex-80s NFL players at least once a week. And everytime I read them, I get a little angrier with the league.

6. strong piece by Gary

i'm not crazy about the voice -- said works better than says, especially if you change voice in midstreak

but, damn, he got some great quotes from a lot of people and told the story without getting in the way

nice work, Gary

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He never gets in the way. He is a reporter first, writer second, and that's what leads to work like this.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

gary rocks when he does pieces like this. 8) 8) 8)

9. I read the story and couldn't help but think what a better writer would have done with the same information, but I guess you can't really have it both ways.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't know, Ike. Gary was good enough for Dave Smith, so I suppose he's good enough for me.

11. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Good story. Liked the way it was presented.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Heart-breaking. Emotion and reporting over-ride the editing.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted