1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Inconvenient Truth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeff Gluck, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Caveats:

1) Outside of the slide show segments -- and the bit about his sister -- too much Gore.

2) As it stands, Kyoto is an epic soak-the-US proposition. Letting China and India essentially go scot-free while we're left with
    the lion's share of the check is absurd.

That said . . .

The last 40 minutes should prove sobering and affecting to anyone with a brain who's not bought and paid for.

A must-see, for any functioning citizen.

2. This one Bob Beamon-ed back up the board.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . cuz I finally got to take in the sucker, this after.

4. Ben -
    I don't know about you, but the comparison of the junk science stories with the old ones about tobacco was the highlight for me.

5. sportsed

sportsed Guest

After seeing this movie, there's no way Gore's not running. It'd be one thing if it was 90 percent Power Point with some glamour shots worked in, but it was like 60-40 Power Point with the rest of it DNC convention-quality films of the Gore-man.

One of the most amazing parts for me was when they took a look at the deep, deep core aeration of South Pole and said, Yep, here's where the Clean Air Act was enacted. I also didn't know that the first full photo of Earth from space is the most-used photo in history. The patched-together panoramic of the world unhindered by clouds that Gore used as a backdrop was cool, too.

The animation with the little girl and suppression-guy was gay.

My question from a couple months ago remains: If Gore runs and if Gore wins, either he's going to have to just up and shut off the Big Oil spigot (which I'd think is impossible) or he's going to have to work with them (which will make him look bad).

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . which is why he's not running. He's taking the road which allows him to finger-point . . . in the ultimate, morally-correct way, and that's all well and good . . . and
    in the big picture, he's absolutely right (I've told people flat-out for three decades the IC engine will kill us all), but without big changes which
    alter the equation so that the US isn't strictly played as Uncle Sucker/Martyr, Kyoto ain't flyin' . . . that said, he's looking to
    embarass the people who most need embarassment, and that's ALWAYS a plus . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted