1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An immature lede

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Jul 4, 2013.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Covering a police beat, I come across a lot of strange and stupid stuff. When it's stupid, I say it - to my co-workers in the newsroom, not in my story.

I came across this lede today from a story about how some "Tough Mudder" competitors have been diagnosed with a virus that has caused nausea, high temperatures and diarrhea.

It's a lede I never would have written, though I might have thought or said it.

Your thoughts, fellow SJers?
    ------------
    The lede:

Who would have thought something could go wrong while jumping in puddles of mud, running through live electric wires and swimming through freezing tubs of water?
    Oh, that's right, everybody.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't mind the first line.

I don't like the second line.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't like the wording on any of it.

Maybe:

She jumped in the mud puddles, ran through the electrical wires and swam in the freezing water.

Now she's sick.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Change the third word to 'of,' now you've kicked off the official 4th of July SJ BBQ.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The guy actually wrote a sports column about the Knicks. The lede:

"Carmelo Anthony can lead a team to a championship, said no one."

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I loath question ledes. Very immature. Not a fan. Trying to be too cute. If people are getting sick due to the set up of this competition, it is not the time for a soft cutesy lede.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Personally don't care for question ledes. Also agreed that the topic is not one to get cute with. Like Wolv, I didn't let newsroom humor into my copy, not on a crime/courts beat. The public doesn't always appreciate our brand of humor. Plus, seems like it editorializes a bit.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They could have mentioned that the toughest hurdle they faced that day was one they could not see or the hurdles in this race have not been completed.

Questions and snarky humor in ledes are a dangerous mix.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have gone with:

John Doe thought the hard part would be jumping in puddles of mud, running through live electrical wires and swimming through freezing tubs of water.

But now he and several others "Tough Mudder" competitors are battling a virus that nausea, high temperatures and diarrhea, that officials suspect they picked up on the course.

10. There was a fairly terrible lede in the Boulder Daily Camera a few days ago about a Colorado football player who was in the Aurora theater the night of the massacre.

Something to the effect of "Mike Smith has watched a lot of game film, but there's one film he has no desire to watch."

Pretty insensitive and thoughtless, overall. A good editor would have caught it, but like most other papers these days, they're stretched thin enough that it's a spellcheck-and-send process.

11. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

What's egregious about it is poking fun at someone who's experienced what's described as symptoms of a fairly serious illness. In general I'm not crazy about ledes ending with questions, but once in a while on a lighter topic I can live with it. Snarky ledes seem to be more accepted - if no encouraged - in online publications.

Draft saved Draft deleted