1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An honest question about the US stimulus bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm sure you could wear a hardhat and stand around with the best of them, Simon.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep. And if you're a construction worker you eventually finish your job.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Key word being eventually.

That would by enough time for them.

4. Simon_Cowbell

As you know with me, no hardhat required.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This is an honest-to-God question: Wouldn't the best stimulus for the economy to get the credit markets out of their deep freeze? Should we be devoting a lot more time to that instead of this other stuff?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wouldn't people having actual jobs help lubricate the credit markets?

7. Simon_Cowbell

First, they should mandate that the maximum interest these credit-card companies can charge is 10 percent.

And the maximum unpaid balance anyone can carry over any and all cards is $25,000

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't know if you're aware of this, but that is actually the definition of freezing credit.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Those massive unpaid balances are playing a healthy part in the foreclosure spate.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

All I'm saying is that your argument to unfreeze the credit markets is for the government to mandate credit freezes.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Maybe a little bit. I don't know. But honestly, it doesn't seem that way. I mean, it seems like people all over the spectrum, good jobs, no jobs, good credit, no credit, are having a hard time getting credit right now.
    Of course, I wasn't really thinking about people. What's more important than people getting credit are businesses getting credit because that will (hopefully, in my mind) let them ford these tough economic times better -- take out loans to get through the bad times so they don't have to cut back their workforce as much.
    But it takes two to tango and someone needs to be making those loans, which, from what I've heard, doesn't seem to be happening right now. Lending institutions control a ton of assets that are losing value by the day (including their own common stock), which means they need more money in-house to cover writedowns, which means they can't send money out of house.
    BUT, I feel I'm speaking way out of my economic depth here, so hopefully someone who actually knows what their talking about can come in and help out a bit. :)

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good luck even finding a card that will charge 10 percent or less.

Draft saved Draft deleted