1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Excerpt From Tim D's Killed Book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If that is not enough the fact that the Knicks are giving up on the 2009 season should be.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I probably won't watch one NBA game from start to finish this year but read all of that. There were alleged side bets in the dressing room, for chrissakes.

But I also wondered how Deadspin could run all of that without some repercussions.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yep, definitely buried.

P1 play. Buried as hell.

4. swenk

swenk Member

Actually, it's pretty hard to believe the book even got this close to being published. Kudos to the folks at Triumph for trying to get this done.

But you have an author who is a convicted criminal, making "his word against ours" claims. You have no one publicly substantiating his claims. You have a medium-sized publisher (Triumph) owned by a huge publisher (Random House) owned by a mega-conglomerate (Bertelsmann) who doesn't need the multi-six-figure legal bills and endless hours of manpower this would absorb.

Every publishing contract has a clause that says, basically, "if our lawyers say no, we're out." That is apparently what happened here.

It's rarely a matter of whether a book's content can be defended or proven. It's a matter of whether the publisher wants to deal with the hassle, eat up the Authors Liability insurance, etc, especially when the author has questionable credibility and the sales potential might not exceed the cost of litigation.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Great thing is.... now that pus-bucket Stern HAS to respond to this.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I think this removes all doubt LeBron will sign with the Knicks in 2010. /blue font

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh yeah? Watch him not.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Aw, great. Validation for every delusional fanboi to scream, "See, the refs <b>hate</b> us."

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Who made that horseshit call on Bryon Russell, again?

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Tim Donaghy is a complete and total clown.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Exactly. He doesn't have to respond at all.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wrong.

The NBA responded.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/sports/basketball/30refs.html?_r=1

Go ahead and say anything you want about Donaghy. Too many specific details. My gut tells me there is a lot of fire behind that smoke.

Draft saved Draft deleted