1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Excerpt From Tim D's Killed Book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the key is doing it without drawing too much attention to yourself.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

By the way, this is great time to remind ourselves who fixed up Michael Jordan with airport lounge singer Karla Knafel (according to her) -- a referee, Eddie F. Rush. I still haven't heard the explanation of how Rush knew Jordan's type, and whether he had instructions to alert him when he found it. Just more evidence Jordan gets all the calls.

/BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Smoking Gunmen would be the ideal NBA coverage team for a newspaper. Why anyone would give a convict automatic credulity is beyond me.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Shocking -- refs are human! I gave up on that excerpt, which was more boring than an NBA game.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Right out of college I bought a "How to find a job in professional sports" book. One of the jobs was for pro wrestling ref (insert WWE/NBA jokes here). But it was delivered completely straight, and one of the qualifications was that you'd "have to learn to take punishment and be impartial."

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think Deadspin is playing with fire more in this post than in the ESPN shenanigans posts.

They took 3,700 or so words out of that book and slapped it up on the web. That's got to be the heart of the book and, while I found it a fascinating read, I surely wouldn't bother to buy it now.

Dangerous stuff taking that much of an unpublished work.

The Nation got hammered when it took 500 words of Gerald Ford's unpublished biography so many years ago. There's some slight differences here, but I dunno.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"Some players, even very good ones, were targeted by referees and the league because they were too talented for their own good. Raja Bell, formerly of the Phoenix Suns and now a member of the Charlotte Bobcats, was one of those players."

Great, more reason for Raja freaking Bell to act like he's something special.

Those excerpts read like a guy who - shock of all shocks! - is trying to throw as many people under the bus as possible, while also trying to verify every single fandork/media conspiracy theory that exists about the NBA.

But as someone said . . . just like Canseco.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Confirms? He's a convicted felon. And you believe him? Why?
    Hey, he knows everybody thought the 2002 game was rigged, so he gets in there and says, yeah, it was rigged.
    And everybody who thinks it was rigged now is convinced they have proof.
    Come on, Mizzou.
    I only know you through your posts, but I know you're smarter than this.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That was part of Donaghy's calculus too, I'm sure.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I just wonder if ESPN's lawyers might now be talking to the NBA's lawyers about a tag team designed to break Deadspin's back. Those are some mighty powerful bears that blog keeps poking with that stick, at some point you'd think it'll catch up with them.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. I had the same thought about his "revelation" that Javie was out to get Iverson. Those Javie/Iverson rumors were already out there because Iverson once went on record publicly declaring that Javie had it in for him. Some of these so-called revelations are just parroting the rumors and conspiracy theories that had already been floating about for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted