1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An epiphany

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jul 31, 2007.

1. you are correct about that.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Belief is the death of intelligence.'
    — the late, great Robert Anton Wilson
    RIP

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It's OK, but it sure seems unlikely that throughout the course of history, no one has stumbled on to HRE's true nature & what if anything HRE wants from a world that HRE didn't have to create.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If there is a God -- and I regularly waffle on this -- I think the description by Bruce Almighty is most apt: He's a bully standing over an anthill with a magnifying glass.

As for organized religion ... if they have to shove it down your throat, how legitimate can it really be? No thanks.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's me in the corner losing my religion.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Thank god you've come to this realization.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My question, Boom: Where does God stand on reclining airline seats?

8. joe

joe Active Member

Well you say that it's gospel
    But I know that it's only church
    -- Keith Richards/Tom Waits

I use this line on any religion topic when someone questions themselves or the nature of religion in general. (By the way, it's from the song "That Feel" on Waits' Bone Machine CD from 1992, the best album of the year.)
    There are two ways to go if you grow up Catholic: You go to Mass every Sunday, a metronome of the weeks and years stretching out before you. Or you leave the church pretty much altogether. I did the latter.
    You don't owe the church anything. Be good because it's what your moral compass tells you to do, not because the church guilts you into it. Ethics -- morality -- isn't found inside walls with stained-glass windows. It's found within yourself.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Here's a corollary to HB's earlier thread that Boom may be able to shed some light on: Why do good things happen to Peter King?

10. Boom_70

Not even God is allowed to stand until the plane reaches the gate and seat belt sign is turned off.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

True enough, but riddle me this: Can God make a latte so big even he can't drink it?

12. Boom_70

Here is an example of what you speak of:

At 11:36 p.m. Sunday, driving from the Lexington airport to my motel near the Bengals' training camp in Georgetown, Ky., I got stopped for speeding. "Do you know why I stopped you?'' a very polite Georgetown officer said. I said no. "I clocked you going 52 in a 35 zone. We take our speeding very serious here.'' I told him that was good, and I was sorry. He gave me a warning, asked what my business was in town, and told me to have a great time at Bengals camp. I should have asked him: "Hey, there are lots of police jobs in New Jersey. How about coming east to practice that kind of foreign

I can only conclude that good things happen to Peter because he has accepted Jesus Christ as his lord and savior.

I was driving on route 80 towards Pittsburgh when my cell phone rang-- " Peter this is God..........

Draft saved Draft deleted