1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An entirely different brand of stupidity at Penn State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 5, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I've always been up front about being an alum, Norrin.

I just don't get outraged over what drunken 20-year-old girls are doing. I would feel the same way if this were at Wisconsin, Harvard or SUNY Purchase. It's wrong, but as a society we have a lot of pressing issues.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

No. And has anyone here said it's not racist? I'm awaiting that post.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

OK, I found one.

You win the Internets for the next 30 seconds.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Oh for fuck's sake. 50 sorority chicks made mustaches with their fingers, wore sombreros, and made two signs with a pot joke and cutting grass.

racist - a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

Can you guys get off your self-loathing high horse for just a day or two?

Its 50 college chicks having a stupid party.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Vice President of the Mexican American Student Association, Cesar Sanchez Lopez, issued a statement regarding the sorority’s choice of attire.

“The Mexican American Student Association is disappointed in the attire chosen by this sorority. It in no way represents our culture. Not only have they chosen to stereotype our culture with serapes and sombreros, but the insinuation about drug usage makes this image more offensive. Our country is plagued by a drug war that has led to the death of an estimated 50,000 people, which is nothing to be joked about.”

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

This happened when I was an undergrad:

http://www.indiana.edu/~ids/archives/1021zbtlist.html

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-10-21/news/9710220301_1_scavenger-hunt-zeta-beta-tau-sexual-overtones

Its so easy for a bunch of whiteys to sit around and say "This is no big DEAL!!!!" and "That's so not racist!!!!! We have more important things to worry about in society!!!!!!!"

Using stereotypes to single out ANY group of people is inherently prejudiced. That guy is fat, or that girl has an accent we get to yuk yuk about.

"These parties happen all the TIME!!!!"

Well, they shouldn't.

But then, I've never been a fan of themed parties. I understand the need to break up the monotony in State College, PA (and other college towns, to be fair), true. But when I was on an internship and a bunch of people said "hey! Let's have a heaven and hell party!" I asked what that was. After being told about this whole movement between rooms chicanery, I asked why we didn't just cut to the chase and just drink.

I would guess the members of this sorority, as they point fingers and try to figure out who leaked the photo, wouldn't have minded if this party had lacked a stupid theme.

Looks like Cesar wins junior/shortbus' prize.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Holy shit, a late contender in the Troll of the Year competition.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I must have missed the shallow graves and AK-47s in the photo.

Talk about a reach.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

In principle, you're right. In practice, all groups are not created equal.

If this had been an Evening in Paris party, with the girls in berets and fishnets, no one would have cared.

Part of growing up is learning nuance. If you don't realize "We shouldn't do this," you're still a juvenile. If you know you shouldn't do it, but don't get why, you've reached the bottom rung of adulthood.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

(Anatomically correct, even.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I can't even believe this is a story. You could find something comparable to this almost any night on any large campus.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

SNL did a really funny skit on that (of course, when your kid is Asian, you notice this) when Jeremy Lin was in the midst of his 15 minutes of fame last year.

SportsCenter-type show ... 2 commentators (one of which was African-American) read Jeremy Lin copy with, of course, some double-entendre slur about Asians, and then laughed at themselves for their creativity. The third guy started jumping in and making very similar African-American slurs, and they both stopped, looked at him each time, and said "that's not cool." ... then went off on more one-liners about bad driving.

Draft saved Draft deleted