1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An entirely different brand of stupidity at Penn State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 5, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Compton is well over 2/3 latino today, for what its worth.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

This is the most Sonner thing to ever happen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Haha. Oh c'mon. Don't tell me you don't enjoy a Hurricane every now and again. Don't I owe you a beer anyway? Hope you take payment in the form of delicious malt liquor!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Group of spoiled, entitled white girls does culturally ignorant, mildly-offensive thing on social media.

Controversy simmers.

School scrambles to cover its ass, distancing itself from group of spoiled, entitled white girls while also promising this will be used as a teaching moment.

Group of spoiled, entitled white girls feels aggrieved. Say it's just a coincidence no Latina students have ever been a member of spoiled social club, insisting it's only because none have ever applied because, like, don't they have their own thing? Don't they like to hang with their people?

"I'm not racist," says Ashley Lynn Taylor Maplethorpe. "I go to Chipotle all the time and order the burrito bowl!"

Cable news network hears the call to arms, rushes to defend the majority's right to offend.

Controversy fades when very few Latino students can be found at ridiculously expensive public school who are truly aggrieved. They're too busy studying, working, hoping to complete the impossible goal of avoiding assholes at overpriced public university.

Sorority rolls eyes, begins making plans for Egyptian Slave Girl night, with free brownface makeup to be handed out at the door by someone with a weather-based or seasonal name: Summer, Stormy, Misty, Autumn, Rainy.

Fin.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Once I thought I saw you
    in a crowded hazy dive
    Talking to a bookie
    about the lines
    Walk across the pool room
    And over to the bar
    I saw your greasy hands
    take out your card.

You would like a Hurricane
    To calm down your high
    And I'm starting to laugh away
    You won a bet
    and now you hope the feeling stays
    I want to congratulate
    But I'm starting to laugh away

I am just a gambler
    But you are just a gamble
    You could have saved that money
    for something smart
    Before that moment
    you laid out the vig
    That perfect moment
    when you can renig
    You grabbed the bottle
    and you took a swig

You would like a Hurricane
    to calm down your high
    And I'm starting to laugh away
    You won a bet
    and now you hope the feeling stays
    I want to congratulate
    But I'm starting to laugh away

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

/wipes away a single tear

Beautiful!

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

8. poindexter

I'm not going to defend these sorority chicks, but do you really know that all fifty girls are spoiled, and entitled? Pretty broad generalization, unless you actually know all fifty, which I am guessing you don't.

Lotsa people on SportsJournalists.com get their feathers ruffled when people generalize about certain other classes or groups of people. But put 50 white chicks from a state university - do you really know that all fifty are both spoiled and entitled? Or are they just an easy mark, and it makes you and others feel better to shit on the white chicks.

And as far as the 'ridiculously expensive' line to make your point - I just used the Penn State online calculator, and it costs $5,000 less ($14,053 vs. $19,000) for a year on campus at University Park than it does at a California State University or University of California campus.

Edit - Holy shit - is it $14k a semester? And $28k a year for in-state?? It might be, as I read the calculator.

That is expensive for a state school.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anti-firefighter, yet pro-sorority.

10. poindexter

As I said, I am not defending these sorority chicks. But calling all 50 entitled and spoiled is a broad generalization.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The fact that they were all enthusiastic participants in the "haha let's make fun of Mexicans!!!!" picture provides compelling evidence.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The best part of this whole thing is that you know they were like, "Oh my gawd, this is sooo offensive" while giggling.

Draft saved Draft deleted