1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An electoral college tie?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For us. Bill was quite bummed.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think it would be fun but it hinges on McCain winning Ohio and that isn't happening

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Another good thread spinning...

This would never happen. Fox News would call the election early in one of the battleground states and the other networks would follow suit like the little sheep that they are. :D

4. Mizzougrad96

I would trust the president to break the tie. :D

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

If you're conceding Ohio, you're practically conceding the entire election from McCain's standpoint. If Ohio goes blue, McCain has to win either Pennsylvania (unlikely) or Michigan (less unlikely but still unlikely) and doesn't have much margin for error. If he wins Pennsylvania AND Michigan, he'll probably win. But he better hold onto Nevada and Virginia.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I've said it before -- if you look at the electoral map -- unless Obama screws the pooch between now and November, I can't see how McCain wins because I don't see him stealing any blue states (except perhaps NH, which has 4 EV's) and I don't see how he will hold onto Ohio given how badly the GOP has screwed up there.

7. Here's an article from CBS news that has relevance here.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/07/17/politics/horserace/entry4267161.shtml

Basically, Obama has strong, consistent leads in the blue swing states, and McCain is hanging on by a thread in several key red swing states.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It's kind of a rising tide theory in reverse.

This morning, Rasmussen released its new Virginia poll and has it 44-44.

Yesterday, they had McCain 45-42 in North Carolina and Obama 42-40 in Nevada. They have McCain up just 47-37 in Arkansas (surprising). We've talked about McCain with a small lead in South Dakota, a tie in North Dakota and Obama up five in the last Montana poll.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The sitting VP casts the vote. This came up in 2000. Gore could have voted himself into the White House.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Mizzougrad96

Didn't the republicans have the majority in the senate in 2000?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't recall. But if the vote had been 50-50 Gore would have cast the deciding vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted