1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An elderly man just got hit by a car - What's for dinner?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jun 8, 2008.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

The man had to be terrified and in pain. The least someone could do was hold his hand and let him know help was on the way.
    I might not know how to provide medical care but I do know how to offer comfort to a fellow soul.
    This story makes me incredibly sad.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"We've lost our moral compass" was the best quote from the police chief.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Really? I thought everyone understood basic first aid.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, t_b_f, they don't. I'll bet 90 percent of those people, had they acted, would have done something wrong. And then, in this society, they'd get sued within an inch of their life.

Sorry, but if I see someone get mowed down, I'm calling 911 and diverting traffic. Never once laying a hand on him. No freaking way.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That makes two of us. I was trained in first aid ... in eighth grade. That was many, many years ago. I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do to help the guy, but I'd most certainly try to be out there diverting traffic around the guy - or at least stopping everyone until help arrived.

6. three_bags_full

I guess it's been a part of my life for so long that I take it for granted.

Still sad that no one helped or cared to.

7. imjustagirl

There were four calls in one minute. It took 1:20 for a cop to find them. It's not like the guy got hurt further.

8. three_bags_full

It's almost always harder to do the right thing. Just my opinion. Sorry you don't see it the same way.

9. imjustagirl

No, I do see it. But if my choice is run the risk of hurting the guy further with no guarantees what I do is better than leaving him..I'm just going to try to control the situation.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It was similar, I suppose. Only it was a fat guy getting carjacked, and the four goofballs were making fat jokes on camera.

By the way: That's what my Latham, Mass., comment on the first page was about. That's where everything went down.

Draft saved Draft deleted