1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Appeal To The Board's Rebel Contingent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 1, 2008.

1. To WI and jmac --
    He was down for the last interview last weekend and spent two afternoons in Square -- he's an aspiring playwright -- and was quite taken with the fact that he found a picture hanging there of Jayne Anne Phillips, from whom he took an undergrad course. And he also visited Faulkner's grave and picked up whatever dependent clauses were laying around on the ground.
    Thanks for the dining selection, Jay.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Doe's is a great place for steak and tamales. President Clinton gorged on the one in Little Rock on a regular basis. Say what you will about his politics, but the man knows good food.

When you're in town, take the Fenian scion to Clarksdale to Morgan Freeman's Madidi. http://www.madidires.com/

Rendevous ribs are overrated. You can find just as good in Memphis without the two-hour wait.

And tell him to remember this famous Ole Miss saying "We might lose the game, but we'll never lose the party."

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I love Mississippi.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/u_museum/rowan_oak/interactive.html

http://www.olemiss.edu/fordcenter/

http://www.oxfordfilmfest.com

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is Ole Miss ready?

Um, not for this one. Not even close.

I'll try to post some tips later. Right now I've got to go pick up my son and laugh my ass off for two hours thinking of FB visting the Grove for a singalong.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Good call on Graceland, Too.
    You'll never go to a place stranger.
    Like an acid trip without taking any drugs.

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Oxford is a great town. I've only been there once, but it's something else. I'll echo the comments about the scenery, Square Books and Proud Larry's. There was a pretty decent record store in the middle of the town, and there's supposed to be a good studio in town -- Elvis Costello, Modest Mouse and the Hives all made records out there in the past couple of years.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

*Removes jaw from floor*

Haven't been back to the alma mater since I left in June. Man, I miss it. Heading back for Double Decker later this month, though. That'll be a fun weekend.

As for restaurants, sorry, but Doe's is closed. It closed early in 2007.

The best place near town is, by far, the Yocona River Inn. The kid won't be able to afford it, but Mom and Pops should take him for graduation.

The once famous Oxford Steak Company has moved across town, but is still a good joint, although pricey.

Ajax is a firm No. 2 on my list. Great southern food, like catfish po-boys, squash casserole, fried eggplant, fried okra, the Double Deuce Burger, quail. Well, you get the picture. GREAT BLOODY MARYS, too.

Petra is a new Persian restaurant (or, was about a year ago) that's not too bad. Just off the square.

Pearl Street Pasta is the second in a two-store chain (the other's in Natchez) that can't hold a candle to its namesake. Good southern twists on Italian dishes, though. Great sweet vinigrette dressing.

Larry's is the hippie joint in town. At any time, you'll see dudes with long hair, beards and Birkenstocks playing Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash on the radio. Best calzones I've ever eaten. They're also the only place in town you can get decent beer, too. Can't sing there unless you've recorded an album. T-Model Ford plays there quite often.

The Burgandy Room is a decent, up-scale bar that's beside City Grocery, another upscale but popular bar.

One of my favorites was Murph's. It is the closest thing to a pub that you'll find. It's a dump, but that's the way I like 'em.

Parrish's is across the square from Square Books (which is one of the only two places Grisham signs books, btw). It's an OK college bar. Always a little too loud for me, though.

I've also had a few good times at Jubilee, which is a few steps off the square. There, you can not only find a pretty good lunch, but a three-piece band on some evenings.

But back to restaurants.

The Rib Cage is pretty decent. The fucking owner closed down the only decent rib joint in Tupelo to focus on the new one in Oxford. Fucking cocksucker.

Handy Andy, which is a little north of town on North Lamar, is the best barbecue for miles. Really good tea.

For the real southern experience, now is the time to visit Dixie Crawfish, which is right beside Handy Andy. Go buy a couple of pounds and some beer. Mmm, mmm, good.

Just past those two is a place called The Beacon. Great breakfast. It's where the locals go for coffee and cigarettes. The waitresses wear shirts that say, "Naw, we ain't got no sweet tea."

The first McCallister's Deli was opened in Oxford, too. Just beside it is a place called Newk's. It's really hard to explain Newk's. You can get just about anything there. Sushi, chicken fingers, burgers, beer.

Couple of decent Mexican joints around town.

Congratulate the lad on his choice. The Ole Miss and Oxford a great places. Ole Miss is good at six things: Writing, accounting ;D , baseball, the blues, tailgating and hot ass women. Not necessarily in that order.

Hope this helps. And now, you gotta return the favor for New York. The wife and I have planned a New Year's trip.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I don't know a damn thing about Oxford, really, except I'm about 45 minutes of hard driving away from there and I'm always good for bail money for your brother, our poltical leanings notwithstanding.

We can always wire that up by PM.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Best-looking girls in the world, man. Tell him to enjoy it while it lasts.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Them. Enjoy them.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I can't top this. Murph's is indeed a great place. Bernie and I were freshmen there together. Jubilee is also a good spot.

Have him introduce himself to the dean of students, Sparky Reardon, who's just about the nicest man I've ever met. He's been there forever and knows everyone on campus and around town. Sparky helped me out a few dozen times when I was in school.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

And the women are indeed incredible.

Draft saved Draft deleted