1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An apology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 10, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I used to make fun of a newspaper in a neighboring state for running the entire NBA schedule on a page in August. "Surely there's something else they could have put there," I would always say, shaking my head.

So last night I just finished ... putting the NBA schedule on a page.

We do have a certain grimly determined corps of Grizzlies fans hereabouts, but I do feel badly for ever saying anything bad about those other guys. I'm sure they were doing the best they could.

I would like to apologize for ever saying anything bad about that. I have learned my lesson. For today, at least. (And I did make the effort to change all the tipoff times to Central.)

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's a professional piece of hittin'. Well done.
    Can you send that my way now?

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I remember working in Indianapolis (yes, outing myself) and being one of the people that formatted schedules, etc. When the state didn't observe daylight savings time, every schedule that got released had to be checked for dates in between April and October and only those times changed. What a friggen pain in the ass.

A tip of the hat for someone changing the times and not just saying All Times Eastern.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought you had seen the light regarding your political posts. ;)

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, Henry, but why?

6. HejiraHenry

Why run the schedule or why was I making fun of the proposition in the first place?

As for the first question:

We're in the midst of football tab prep and also prototyping a Game Day tab. And, inevitably, we wind up with waaay more daily space that we reasonably need right now.

We've already run the college football schedule page once this week. And my annual NFL camps photo package. And an unloved local cycling feature that's been sitting around here for weeks. And the list of every Barry Bonds home run.

I'll draw the line at running the NHL schedule, thank you.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

This is why I'll never leave the East Coast.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Shrink the agate page then. There had to have been at least one or two stories on the wire that would have been better then that NBA sked agate.

I'm with spnited here. Just don't see the need for it at this time. Of course, you're busy planning the football tab and other stuff, but there is almost always an AP feature and photo you can run.

9. HejiraHenry

It's not for the agate page ... we've already got prep softball and filling the scoreboard is rarely an issue here.

It's just a standalone space-filler if we need it. And we may need it.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I would brag about us doing that all the time, but we have a handy-dandy computer program that changes the ET times to CT for us at the push of a button. :)

rb

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

At each paper I've worked, we only ran complete schedules for tabs or special sections.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I don't think that's the worst thing to run the complete NBA schedule. Hell, it might be better than some training camp wrap up about how the Tampa Bay Bucs cut a third string tight end and the Arizona Cardinals' fifth round pick has a strained groin muscle.

Draft saved Draft deleted