1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

an anti-gift card piece

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I admit I preferred when we got cash wedding gifts, but geez, what's the next step? I direct-deposit $50 into your checking account at Christmas and you direct-deposit $50 into mine? Then we have a virtual exchange of transactions via IM as we log into our bank accounts to make sure the other person didn't stiff us?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more, Frank.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I understand that some people don't like giving gift cards. More power to you.

I'm hard to buy for. I love to read, but I'm VERY particular about what I will read. Last time somebody insisted on giving me books instead of a gift card to Barnes and Noble, well, at least she had the sense to give me a gift receipt.

But this column? I couldn't even finish it. All I wanted to do was tell the writer to go fuck herself. How about she gives her gifts her way and I give mine my way? I'd pay good money to see Denis Leary hunt her down, give her one of his best rants and punctuate it with a face full of smoke.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why don't you go in and buy some socks or a nice ballcap, dude?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Exactly, and the smart husband knows an outfit or piece of jewelry that just doesn't work is better than a gift car. The wife can go replace it with what she wants but you still get credit for not being a gift-card-giving slacker!

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Gift-card giving slacker" is my favourite new Christmas phrase.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Too bad gift cards weren't popular in the Eighties, they're healthier than cigarettes:

John Bender: I'll bet he bought those for you. I bet those were a Christmas gift. You know what I got for Christmas? Oh, it was a banner fucking year at the old Bender family. I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said, "Hey, smoke up Johnny." All right? So go home and cry to your Daddy. Don't cry here, OK?"

8. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

Gift cards help keep the peace in my family. I wear mostly black, live in the Southwest and am not 55 years-old, but up until years ago I always got a sweater or sweatshirt with cutesy little kittens or dogs on it from Moms. My brother would inevitably get a bottle opener or trash can painted in the colors of his alma mater. Moms always made it loudly known that people who asked for a gift receipt were "rude." We tried to "help" Mom by making wish lists. She kept saying the stuff on them didn't seem like something we'd like. So we very gently suggested gift cards. That seemed to do the trick

9. Frank_Ridgeway

That's not a problem with gifts, though. That's a problem with the gift-giver not making enough effort. Is there really any difference between someone giving me an ugly sweater or giving me a gift card to someplace I'd never shop in or never eat in otherwise? The year someone gave me a gift card to Olive Garden ... we have no shortage of Italians here, I can go to a real Italian restaurant any time I want. It'd be like me sending a Taco Bell gift card to someone living on the Mexican border.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe you have dandruff that is noticeable on the black outfits you wear and Mom was trying hoping a cute kitten or puppy would lure the eye away.

Or maybe Mom doesn't approve of your Goth lifestyle.

Moms are rarely wrong.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Personally, I only wear argyle, but people keep giving me camo clothing.
    It's very frustrating.

12. Widow

Widow New Member

Forgive me for being a grinch, but what is the problem with just smiling, saying "thank you" and being grateful for the gesture? So what if it wasn't a gesture worthy of what you think you deserve. Get over it and get over yourselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted