1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

an anti-gift card piece

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Gift cards rule. I hate it when someone spends money on a gift I'm not going to use and I hate it even more when I spend money on something someone won't use. It's a win/win situation.

Plus, what would you rather have: A $20 movie from Best Buy or a $20 gift card to Best Buy - or better yet a handful of Best Buy gift cards from multiple family members.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I hate gift cards. Buy me a fucking present :D

That sad, I'm buying my first gift card as a present this year. I want my sister and her husband to have a night out away from their three boys (all under age 5). The only way I can force that on her (she'll love it, really) is to buy her a gift card to a movie theater and her fav restaurant.

I don't like the whole gift card thing, but I do really want my sis and her hubby to have a night out. I even have a babysitter (mom) lined up.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

http://www.plasticjungle.com/

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ironically a screed about how lousy it is to give gift cards as gifts turns into an all-about-me! column:

"How would I have felt, for example, about the new friend I rushed to the hospital one night had she thanked me with a gift card rather than a basket of chocolate-dipped strawberries, each more luscious than the last? Of course, no gift was expected or required, but her thoughtfulness created a bond.

Or would I have felt nearly as welcomed by my new mother-in-law if, on my first Christmas as a wife, she'd presented me with a gift card rather than the antique soup tureen that had been in her family for years? Her present told me I was part of the family.

And should I give up trying to please my husband who is -- Kenneth Cole as my witness -- one of the hardest human beings in the world to shop for?"

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The only person I would think would be off limits for gift cards is your spouse/significant other. Everyone else? Yes. As Smasher said, especially when it comes to clothes, I love getting a gift card from a place where I usually shop. I need to pick out my own stuff. I know what I want to wear and what I need, my size, etc.

I'm not married, but I imagine coming up to the wifey with a gift card as the big present would get your a week or so in the doghouse, though.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

As the big gift? Bad idea. But a $25 iTunes gift card or Starbucks gift card in addition to the big-ticket items I got him would be loved, I would think.

I love gift cards. I get to do something I absolutely love (shopping) with SOMEONE ELSE'S MONEY!

Bring it on.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I meant the big gift. Something like an iTunes card stuffed in a stocking I'm sure would be appreciated.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My family knows in general where I like to shop, but that's about it. They don't know what movies/games/plates/towels I need so they simply give me the card and let ME fill in the gaps. And it's appreciated, too.

Besides, I'm 36 now. On the rare occasion when I get a gift at Christmas, a gift card is appreciated because I can go and buy what I want for myself. It's almost like getting two gifts in one.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I drop hints to my mom and my brother about what I want by sending them a list. That way I know I'm getting something I want off the list (be it a book, a DVD or a movie) and they feel safe getting me something they know I want.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I finished Christmas shopping Saturday. Really, I don't care if other people want to give gift cards, but I had a good time last week. And I think I spent less than I would have spent if I had bought gift cards. There are things called "bargains." It is cool to buy a $50 gift for $20 because the other person won't know you paid less than half-price; they think they're getting a $50 gift.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As lazy as this sounds, this year I am not even going with the gift cards. The thing those I love need most is money. So, I’m giving cash. My parents will receive some gifts. I just haven’t figured it out.

I used to be real creative with my gifts. Each one was linked to the next with a theme that ran through them all. However, I just don’t have the time or patience to be doing that this year. I also know that, while my thought is appreciated, the recipients need the money more.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan because they represent a failure of imagination on my part

And yes, it's all about me. :)

However, as HC pointed out, the boys have me stumped.

Clothes are out for obvious reasons.

I used to buy CD's but kids don't listen to CD's any more.

One wants Season Four of The Wire. That's easy enough.

An NFL jersey is probably in the eldest one's future.

In any case, I will only do gift cards as a last resort.

One of the things I try and do is give them ONE thing that's not even on their list. We gave one of the twins a table saw last year.

But I'll take a gift card any time. Just don't like to give them.

Draft saved Draft deleted