1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An American Carol

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 4, 2008.

1. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

A great section from the review of the movie in Reason:

Conservative comedy in the Age of Bush venerates authority. The “heavies” that corrupt Malone and (temporarily) ruin the lives of his conservative extended family are powerless, silly activists. Malone simply gets slapped around a bit and decides the establishment was right. If you transported Zucker back to 1978 and pitched him Animal House, he’d direct Niedermeyer: Man of Iron.

http://culture11.com/node/32569?page_art=1

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think both "American Carol" and "Religulous" were beaten at the box office by "Beverly Hills Chihuahua."

Just sayin' ...

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I thought it was pretty funny.

I mean shit it's no "Airplane", but what is?

There were some lulls, but for the most part a pretty funny flick.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To me the definitive anti-liberal movie was South Park. Laughed my ass off at that stuff.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

EVERYTHING was beaten by that damn movie. :(

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Kirk Cameron kicked both Maher and Jon Voight et.al's asses. So funny reading the box office quote to explain why BHC was so successful.
    Well, people like chihuahuas, they're cute, and it's funny when they talk, especially with Mexican accents, and who doesn't like Beverly Hills? The public was ready for another talking dog movie.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which is an extremely disturbing statement about this country.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Found this on IMDB.com

Was Conservative Comedy Sabotaged?

8 October 2008 10:32 AM, PDT | From Studio Briefing | See recent Studio Briefing news

The producers of the liberal-bashing satire An American Carol claimed Tuesday that they had received reports of "ticket fraud," and suggested that it could be the reason why the film's weekend box-office figures were so low. On the film's official website, a notice asked those who attended the movie, "Please check your ticket. If you were in fact one of those people that were "mistakenly" sold a ticket for another movie please fill out the form below. Hold on to your ticket so we can have proof." The notice continued: "If you have noticed other irregularities with the theaters in your area please let us know in the comment section below. For instance, Rated R film rating (when in fact we are rated PG-13), posters not being up, not being listed on the marquee, image or focus problems, sound issues, etc." By today (Wednesday), the notice had been removed from the site but remained cached on Google.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Awwwww. . . all that advert money they pissed away on conservative talk radio . . . poor babies. Nice reach, Fat Man.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh for the love of fuck. Those idiots are crying that everyone's out to get them at the MOVIE THEATRE now too? Idiots. Poor widdle Republicans. Everyone's out to get them.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Christ, haven't the bastards STOLEN enough? Jesus.

Draft saved Draft deleted