1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An amazing tale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Commish, Oct 3, 2006.

1. The Commish

The Commish Guest

NYT columnist writes about being on the corporate jet that survived a mid-air collision over Brazil with a 737 that went down.

Led Zeppelin was unavailable for comment.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A very amazing story. The seven people on the small plane will probably spend the rest of their lives wondering why they lived and the others didn't. I do wonder though why the pilots on the small plane didn't see the 737 coming at them, or was it coming from behind? Maybe we will find out when the investigation is complete.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Amazing read. Thanks for finding that.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be all about Jennifer Lopez's ass.
    :mad:

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Wow. Thank god for the Brazilian pilot. It's too bad that he couldn't do anything for his own passengers.

RIP.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fascinating story... Ms. Slappy saw it yesterday and told me an NYT columnist was on the plane/...

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This thread is useless .... oh, TALE. Carry on ...

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Before I continue reading ... I love LOVE that the NYT has the same philosphy as me about numbers: write numbers, don't spell them.

Yes, I know, the AP rule is to spell numbers zero to nine. But I disagree with every fiber of my being. About 6-7 years ago I began to write numbers in my stories. Then I read Buster Olney's NYT pieces for the first time and loved that he was doing the same thing. For example: John Googleshtump has a streak of 3 games in which he's scored 4 runs.

I just believe that a sentence reads better when words are spelled and numbers stay numbers.

Anyway.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

The passenger plane was slightly under the business jet. When the Brazilian pilot evaded, one wing clipped the business jet's wing, then tail. With the sun setting, the passenger plane or the business jet would have been virtually invisible, depending on which one was flying east.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I would love to see a computer simulation of what happened..... It's hard for me to picture.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

According to Daily News story that just moved on the wire:

Tuesday, both Lepore and Paladino (the pilots) had their passports seized by federal police “as a result of the doubts surrounding the case and the emergence of indications that the accident was caused by the Legacy,” Mato Grosso Justice Department spokeswoman Maria Barbant told The Associated Press.
    She added that they were not arrested, “just prevented from leaving the country, at least until we know exactly what happened.”
    Sharkey said he feared the pilots could be scapegoated.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

NYT story says the 737 was heading southeast, while the Commuter Jet was headed northwest. Just an incredible concept, to think that it's even possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted