1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An amazing story about how much one mistake can do

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 8, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm guessing someone is getting fired over this one.

That is crazy.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder if someone hacked their site and posted the story.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's been explained to me by somebody who would know -- not at the S-S, but somebody who knows how the system runs -- and it sounds like an accidental posting of the story is entirely plausible.

Of course, on message threads, the conspiracy theorists are already chirping.

I know trading was halted, but how cool would it be if you got it almost at the bottom before it started back.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

An accidental posting IS entirely plausible.

In newspapers' belated "rush to the WEB" they ended up with shaky tech systems that are held together with nothing more than electronic toothpicks. Editors and developers have been jury-rigging these systems for years while management refuses to upgrade internal or external technology.

Before we start harping on how someone should lose a job over this, realize that it could very easily happen at your shop, on a story you wrote years ago.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Those people would be the first investigated.

And someone will do very well for himself writing some new software to prevent stuff like this from happening.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Like newspapers are gonna buy it.

8. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

A shop I know recently ran a classified page -- including a couple of obits -- that were two years old to the day. I'm sure those cats that were "free to a good home" are gone by now...

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This stuff happens all the time, just not on stuff as significant as this.

I clicked on one paper's website over the weekend looking for a game story and what came up was a gamer more than five years old, by a beat writer who has been gone for a few years.

Also a Tribune Co. paper. I'm sure that's just a coincidence. :D

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

damn... first thought in my mind was buy, buy, buy.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We can fuck up the stock market . . . but we still don't know how to make any real money on the Web.

Draft saved Draft deleted