1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An absolute must read for music fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always loved the Pixies. In the 1990s, REM went down, then way up and then back down again.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Plus, the 80s gave us Big Audio Dynamite! :)

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The 80s almost killed me.

Let's not recall them quite so fondly.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

U2 was already a mega-act well before grunge hit. INXS reached their peak with "Kick" in Oct. 1987. REM was reaching mega-status as well before the flannel revolution arrived.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You wanna try that again with the correct use of the quote function? And since you brought it up, I will remind you that the frontman for Gov't Mule is considered to be one of the best guitar players of all-time. He's even ranked ahead of the incredibly overrated Edge on a Rolling Stone list of the top 100 guitar players. Not bad for a guy who is an unknown to the mass of uneducated music donks like yourself.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The intro/1990 piece was a little long, so I'll have to come back to it, but he made a few interesting points so far.

He's right about the crappy pop music of 1989 and 1990. At that time, I was listening to a lot of "classic rock" type stuff or some harder-edge heavy metal, like Metallica. Anyone else remember Helmet? Anthrax?

For me, the eye-opener for 1990s-style rock came my senior year of high school (I graduated in 1990), when I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse go on Saturday Night Live and just blast out a killer version of "Rockin' in the Free World."

That was the first "grunge" song I heard.

To that point, I had always thought of Neil in his late 1960s/early 1970s singer-songwriter mode, with a few occasional guitar blowouts like "Cinnamon Girl" and "Cowgirl in the Sand." But this new song rocked AND took shots at some of the Reagan/Bush bullshit that was prevalent then. I was hooked.

Thanks for the link, Jay ... will definitely be reading more later.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Anthrax had a devoted following in a group of quasi friends during my high school years, and I remember buying the Helmet CD with In the Meantime and Unsung. Lost it long ago, though.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Never said the Edge was a great guitarist, and I thought you brought up songwriters, not guitar players.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In metal circles, Alice In Chains does the same.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Went to a Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax show sometime around 90-91. It kicked ass. I was also into Iron Maiden, old school Metallica and Sepultura. Thought GNR were a bunch of pussies (Use Your Illusion proved it).

When grunge hit, Smells Like Teen Spirit was a good tune, but wasn't into the rest of Nirvana. Loved Alice In Chains and still do

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I brought up good music, thus your struggle to keep up.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ditto to most of this, aside from disliking GNR. Thought the Illusion twins showed how brilliant they could be.

Recently caught the Anthrax/Megadeth/Slayer tour. All three bands still crush, though Anthrax was only given 35 minutes to play, Dave Mustaine still can't sing at all, and Slayer was awesome but almost ruined by rednecks sitting around us.

As for Helmet: saw them a couple years ago opening on the . . . wait for it . . . the Sebastian Bach/Guns 'N' Roses (Axl and a bunch of schleps) Tour.

Draft saved Draft deleted