1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An absolute must read for music fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Nov 3, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The always essential AV Club has decided to take on the alternative music scene that defined the 1990s.

The first part is below and starts with 1990 and the next two parts are already posted.

If you were a teenager in the 90s or a college student, like I was, you'll find yourself lost in a weird mix of nostalgia and revulsion of what you once listened to all the time. And you won't be able to turn away.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/part-1-1990-once-upon-a-time-i-could-love-you,45892/

Check it out.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Oddly enough, some of my favorite music these days is stuff that came out in the 90s, but I didn't start listening to any of it until the 2000s.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nice.

Those were really, really special times.

And the soundtrack felt like it would last forever, though it probably lasted about 5-6 years, at most.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sounds cool. I will check out when I get home.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It is very, very strange to read as he rattles off the list of big hits in 1990. I remember that year clearly - I was in junior high - and it's just weird to think back of a time before I had never heard of Nirvana and Pearl Jam, when I thought AC/DC was dangerous and sort of illicit, and when the Beatles and Stones were just fogeys that my parents listened to.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had Nelson's "Love and Affection" as a cassette single.

*shivers*

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's a lot of words there.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The 1980s were much, much better.

The 1990s were the beginning of the end.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana all hold up pretty damn well 20 years later...

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Spoken like someone who thinks U2 are great songwriters.

11. 93Devil

But the Pixies sound better.

When the first few chords were played on Teen Spirit, Alternative Music rose directly to mainstream radio.

In the 1980s, you had to dig for this music. I listened to alternative music on AM, freeking AM, radio in Tempe when went down to ZIA Records and hoped someone had traded away the Pixies or the Smiths or Echo and the Bunnymen or REM or New Order so I could get the album or the cassette for $2.99.

That is when it was cool.

When grunge hit, I could hear that feedback on FM radio across 4-5 stations. It lost the magic.

Then INXS, U2, REM and some others just blew up with popularity.

12. 93Devil

Draft saved Draft deleted