1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An A-hole at Xmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Plan to take automatic weapons with you next year. Make sure you call ahead to mention that you'll be bringing along a "little friend."

[​IMG]

2. boots

boots New Member

Uni, take it from the ultimate ass, boots. YOU WERE AN AN ASSHOLE. You forgot the most important thing my brother. Jesue is the reason for the season. Not Pizza. Not Brizola aor gifts or OT at work. Remember that next year and you'll be fine.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is terrible to say, but I feel very fortunate that my job gives me an out for having to visit my parents at Christmas. They drive me insane. My parents still don't "get" my job, which is especially annoying since I've been doing this for over a decade. They think I can call my boss and say, "Hey, you know those games that are being played from Dec. 24-Jan. 1, get someone else to cover them..."

Meanwhile, my in-laws are great and very understanding about my schedule...

4. OK unibomber - let me be the one who reads between the lines (in the belief that there is two sides to every story).

Your brother's girlfriend goes out of her way to avoid you. It could be a problem she has or maybe she just doesn't want to know you. Her impressions of you can only come from things you have done or things your brother said about you. Based on the fact that you brought in her gifts and then took them back to your car and probably made a show of it tells me that its probably you and not her.

The fact that YOUR family has a "screw him" attitude toward you - see the dinner at grandmothers and breakfast on the farm as evidence - again tells me its probably you who is the problem.

You admit to being an ass over the holidays and say it stems from you not getting your precious pizza. You could have easily picked up the pizza on the first night and you easily could have had a full meal at your wife's mothers. You however wanted things YOUR WAY and when others didn't act the way you wanted them to - you had a tantrum. I'm curious how you dealt with your wife's mother who obviously put a lot of effort into cooking only to have you say that you'd prefer store bought pizza to her home cooked meal. I'm sure however you think you handled it - in reality it did not go over as well as you think.

Sorry - you won't be getting any validation for your actions from this corner.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I feel unibomber's pain, but if something happens at Christmas that pisses me off, I just keep my mouth shut... I may tear said person a new asshole later, but over the holidays, I'll just let it go...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm kind of with Evil Chris here. I would not have made a big deal about the food at all. But when I arrived at 8 p.m. and they said -- You did eat on the way, didn't you? -- I would have said, "No, I thought we were having pizza."

Then I would have ordered pizza for you and Mrs. Uni and had it delivered or picked it up or whatever and ignored everyone while eating.

I would have brushed off the brother's girlfriend and been gracious with the gift.

On the farm, I would have butchered a friggin hog myself and thrown it in the oven.

But that's just me.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Also, if breakfast is at 10 and it's so great, why arrive 20 minutes late?

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Why arrive on time? It sounds like this trip was designed to get the most goodies with the least amount of interaction.

show up early, man, and enjoy someone's company even if you don't see eye-to-eye on all things.

Or, you can keep on being the "It's all about me!" guy and be excluded, shunned or ripped a new asshole by your mom the next day.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

The moral of the story.......don't be late for any event at Uni's family! The Unibombers are known for their promptness....

10. joe

joe Active Member

Next year, do this:
    I'm gonna get the Duke, and John Cassavetes,
    and Lee Marvin, and Sam Peckinpah, and a case of whiskey,
    and drive down to Texas ...

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So let's see if I have this straight ...

The problem appears to be that Unibomber keeps blowing things up.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I wasn't there, but I wouldn't assume that just because your brother calls you back to invite you over that it is because the live-in-girlfriend doesn't want to meet you. It is the holidays and there are lots of things going on. I have done the same thing to other people.

I was preparing for my father-in-law's visit and was busting my ass to clean the house. Each room was sort of a mess from having things taken out for cleaning or tossing away.

Someone wanted to come over to see that house and I thought it was alright. I said yes. Then, I talked to my wife and she says, "Did you look around? The house is a mess. They can come over another time. Now is not good." So I called them back and canceled their visit.

My wife wasn't being an asshole, she just doesn't want people to come over the house and see a mess. I don't care as much and don't view the mess as being as bad as she does.

Draft saved Draft deleted