1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Schumer on finding self confidence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Apr 20, 2015.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Dame Cook

bigpern23 and old_tony like this.
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Take Brian Regan. A longtime, successful standup.
    Seriously well respected in the industry and happens to work 'clean.'
    I've heard him say in numerous interviews that working clean is not a political or religious statement. It's not a reflection of what he finds funny or not funny in material done by other comics. It's just what feels right for his material and it developed organically.
    But there are people who go to see Regan because he's clean. Well, because he's funny and he's clean.
    If Regan, decided to stop working clean, he'd probably lose some audience, but he'd probably still work. He's a great comic and his material would probably be great.

Schumer might find the same thing. I don't know if her political material is good.

Iron_chet likes this.
  3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It isn't. It is mostly saying that voting for Trump is crazy (I agree) and that common sense gun legislation is needed (I agree). But she mostly uses silly accents and faces to portray the opposition to make it "funny."

And I was just discussing this with a co-worker: It is very possible, likely even, that this is just something she is doing as we are less than a month away from the election. I doubt she plans to make a turn as the female Bill Maher. If she keeps up the politics schtick this time next year, I'll be surprised and a little bit disappointed.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We've located the problem.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Schumer's much funnier than Dane Cook.

You give her a year and she'll find 7-8 good minutes of material on politics. But dragging people on stage indicates she hasn't developed it yet.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Chris Jericho also looks like Megyn Kelly on steroids in that shot.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Her movies are blockbuster poison.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The preferred term is "box office poison" a la Norm MacDonald.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Getting married will do to her career what gastric surgery and marrying a white guy did for Lisa Lampanelli's.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I give her tremendous credit. She starred in several box office winners while bucking the traditional leading female stereotype. Why do people continually root against those that actually succeed in the face of tremendous odds? Do people actually think its easier for non-beauties to succeed rather than those who more closely fit the historical female movie star?

Draft saved Draft deleted