1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Schumer on finding self confidence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Apr 20, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I see from a few headlines this is likely about her show in Tampa. Sounds a lot like what she did in Atlanta, but with a slightly bigger reaction.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

People just don't like performers bringing politics into it from either side. Hank Williams Jr. played here recently. Some friends complained about all his political talk from the stage, and he leans way the hell away from Amy Schumer.

Both will be fine.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I agree. I didn't expect her to go so hard on politics. It was the worst part of an otherwise enjoyable show for me, and that includes the part when she went at length about how her vagina smells like a farm animal.

And if I'm being honest, it will likely deter me from seeing her live in the future. But I'm still a fan.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Trump won't be grabbing it.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think there are expectations about material.
    Schumer's rise to success wasn't based on political humor. I've never seen her live, but the stand-up and sketch material I've seen her do on TV was not political material.
    I believe all topics are open in comedy and humor. I don't believe in taboos.
    Performers should do the material they want to do, but the audience is not obligated to like it.
    If I went to a Schumer performance and she did political material, I probably wouldn't like it. I really don't like political stand-up, and I wouldn't expect it from her.

If you go see Lewis Black or Bill Maher, you should expect it.

She'll be fine. She might lose some audience if she wants to do political stand-up, but that doesn't mean she won't work.
    Just like the Dixie Chicks. They're not shopping with EBT cards just because they lost some of their audience.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Carlin could pull it off because he was a brilliant writer and thinker. He also had a point.
    Same with Lewis Black and Maher, and Dennis Miller on the other side of the political spectrum. You may not agree with their line of thinking, but they are thinking.
    Inviting audience members on stage to ask them why they like Trump is cheap. You're waiting for the dumb "tells it like it is/Make Murrica great/Ahh Hates Hillery!" line so you can sit back and collect an easy laugh without putting in any work.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And even that can be funny, but it's already been done on about a dozen talk shows. That's the main reason I'd stay away from Trump stuff in standup. The jokes are too obvious and done to death already.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

From the show I went to, it did seem like she genuinely wanted to hear what the guy had to say. Now, she may have been anticipating the dumb lines you mentioned, but she approached it as "let's be open to discussion and other sides." Now, that could have just been all part of the set up or actual sincerity, only she knows for sure. But it came less across as "Let's Pick On The Trumpster" than you might think.

That said, as I mentioned before, she didn't refrain from hitting all the redneck republican stereotypes at other points in the show.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That sounds incredibly pointless and unfunny to me.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Oh, I definitely agree. When she invited the guy on stage, I immediately put my head in my hands and said to my girlfriend "I'm not sure I want to see this." If she were going to be genuine, it wasn't going to be funny. If she were going to make fun of the guy, it was just going to seem mean.

There was definitely a car-wreck, spectacle feel to the whole thing, so in that way it was at least interesting. But it also ground any momentum she had during the show to a halt. Instead of a sea of laughter, there was an uneasy tension in the arena.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We already have shows where we poll random goobers about their opinions on things. And many of them are on free TV and I don't have to pay for a ticket and parking my car. I have no issue with her talking politics in her act, you just damn sure better write it, fix it on stage and make sure it's solid. Lewis Black's done it for 20 years. Carlin did it for 40. But it sounds like she just put her show in park to shill for a political candidate from what I've read. That's unacceptable. People paid to be entertained. This is basically me going to a Pitt game and having the halftime show be Hillary. I didn't pay to see it and I'm damn sure not watching it.

12. The stuff I first saw was related to Atlanta show.
    Then she did Tampa, with more of the same.

It's her career, fine whatever ....

Draft saved Draft deleted