1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Schumer, joke stealer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 22, 2016.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought all comedians stole jokes.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Good comedians copy. Great comedians steal.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Plagiarism? Satire? Clinton supporter?

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Her calling out the 17-year-old is going to come back and bite her in the ass. Any time she makes a personal comment about someone on Twitter, the interwebs are going to be all over her, saying she can dish it out but can't take it. And the kid is a pussy for apologizing. Good comedians never apologize, and neither should he.

I also feel that if Ricky Gervais said something to that effect during the opening monologue of the Golden Globes, it would have elicited a tremendous laugh, even from her. I guess a 17-year-old movie critic doesn't have the name recognition to make such a joke. Bad play on her part.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You guess he doesn't have the same recognition?

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's not what he said. He said that he "doesn't have the name recognition to make such a joke." That doesn't mean he has to have Gervais's name recognition. Just that there is a theoretical name recognition threshold, beyond which you can safely joke around with Princess Amy.

Gator likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who is Ricky Gervais?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Soccer player.

jpetrie18 and YankeeFan like this.
  9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Glad to see there are a few others on here besides me who think Schumer is mediocre. I was called a nut on the Schumer thread on Anything Goes a while back for saying something similar.

She shouldn't have responded to the kid at all... how more popular is he today that he was before? I figured someone of her status wouldn't be bothered by what a 17-year-old writes on Twitter.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I've had a weird obsession with Amy Schumer that has kind of waned over the last few months. I loved her on Opie and Anthony when she was first breaking through. I haven't seen Trainwreck, but I've wanted to see it. I think her comedy is OK. Her stories on O&A were funnier, to me. But the videos of the original jokes and then her jokes are pretty incriminating. That being said, I think comedians borrow material without even realizing it. I mean, with all the comedy that's gone on in the world, surely more than one person has thought of the same premise and similar punchline.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dick's prepared to lead it. He's given up being funny.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Doesn't want to have a dog in the fight and such. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted