1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Schumer, joke stealer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the kid was trying to laugh with her, not at her.

She's funny enough to have come back with something to defuse it all with a good laugh, while indicating her persona isn't necessarily who she is. At the very least, she could have stolen a line from someone, as she apparently frequently does.

I guess she went another way.

I remember when liberals were the irreverent ones.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

100%. And, she went out and shamed the kid, forcing him to apologize for a light hearted joke.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am suddenly starting to get the sense that you are trying to point out some kind of connection between Hilary Clinton and Lena Dunham.

4. Dick Whitman

It's total bullshit. It was basically his little homage to her brand of humor.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We're discounting the possibility that she was having her period.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Can you be a feminist and a slutty comedienne at the same time? Just wondering... Sounds like appositional situations.

That might have been too big of a word for me.

7. Dick Whitman

So I think that feminists, like Schumer, talk freely and humorously about their promiscuity because the idea is that the woman is in control and enjoying herself for a change. It's all about her. That's considered ground-breaking.

When a man turns around and jokes about enjoying her company, however, it implies the return of the old power dynamics they resented in the first place: Man uses slutty woman to get off. Jokes about it.

And they don't like it. Watch Trainwreck. As central to the plot as her promiscuity is, there's nothing in it that implies that Schumer is getting used. She's in control. She's the one breaking hearts.

I'm not articulating this very well, but I think I'm on the right track. I took a seminar on obscenity law. Scariest semester of my life.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

93Devil will be along soon to slap you around ...

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You forgot to invoke "sticky, muscly little body."

10. Dick Whitman

It's implied.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1. Amy Schumer is very funny in standup. That's a whole different person than who's on TV, and it's clearly an act.

2. She probably isn't stealing jokes in any kind of conscious way.

3. She's exposed to such an extent over the last year that her sense of Hollywood entitled self-righteousness will be hard to fight.

4. Her show is too strident and frankly average, and it reflects her sense of persecution.

5. Her movie was OK.

Hollywood/TV is a generally rotten place to women that, IMO, is only consistently overcome by extreme, obscene talent (Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet or, soon, Rooney Mara) or chutzpah and toughness to burn (Jennifer Lawrence or Helen Mirren, who are also extremely talented). Generally, though, the industry crushes women. And it is not kind to most female comedians.

exmediahack and Ace like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not quite. She's a satirist. She takes all the usual positions that men would take, flips them into a woman's point of view, and says "how do you like it?" And it comes off as really attractive and repulsive in equal portions. And it's funny.

The show is perhaps more in line with what Schumer thinks about in real life. It is at times heavy and relatively unfunny. That's SATIRE, if you will. I find it boring.

Draft saved Draft deleted