1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Alcott blasts LA Times on coverage of women's golf

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Jul 2, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What are DFLs paying these days? Wie's racking them up by the boatload.

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm showing my age here, but Amy Alcott is a "star" on the LPGA Tour? Not former star or has-been?

And this star's last major accomplishment was ... when exactly?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

She is a Hall of Famer, correct? That kind of gives you lifetime star status.

4. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Granted I'm not in a golfing mecca like Cali, FLA or Myrtle Beach, but no one in our four-person sports department knew who Alcott was.

Of course, we could all tell you the name of the girls' varsity golf coach at Podunk Independent (and Podunk County, FWIW), so go figure.

This letter might have been more well received if it was Annika or Pressel or someone of their ilk.

I'll give Alcott credit for sticking up for her sport but I'm not sure it did much good, LA Times be damned.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yup, I'd say your sports department would definitely be in the minority there.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I'm nearly 30 and I had no clue who she was. When I saw the title to this thread, I thought maybe she was another media member or something. That name failed to ring a bell.

If it were up to me, no chance women's golf would get any play other than a roundup. That said, the Women's Open falls in late June, when nothing else is going on. We put it out front every day and I really didn't have too much of a problem with that, only because of the lack of options.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

So how much did your paper run on the Brazil-Chile game?

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Let me just say I'm glad I'm not in your readership area. You consider the U.S Women's Open no better than a roundup story, but because you haven't planned or prepared anything for that slow period, you give your readers big play on what you think is a weak story.
    Well done, and it gives the appropriate weight to your opinion on the matter.

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

If it were up to me, the Women's Open would never be on the cover, but I don't make those decisions. And when you've got very, very little for the cover, the Women's Open ain't that bad.

Ease up a little, EE. Sheesh.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

EE94 should talk when he knows what he's talking about.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

We had a 15" staff gamer for the Mexico/Ecudor match.
    8" follow with hed for the Brazil/Chile game, staff tagline.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm not much older than Willie-Butch, and I know exactly who Amy Alcott is.

Annika and Morgan Pressel are a little too busy to be writing these letters. Alcott's better years are in the rear-view mirror. I don't blame her for holding a major metro's feet to the fire, particularly in an area that seems to be one of more prosperous areas for the game.

In the publication's defense, is it suffering because of the staff cuts or cheap powers-to-be?

Draft saved Draft deleted