1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Alcott blasts LA Times on coverage of women's golf

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

I love how quick everyone is to dismiss women's golf. Two of the highest-paid athletes in all of golf are women. Wie and Sorenstam are both on Forbes' list of the top 100 celebrities in terms of earning power. Sponsors aren't giving them cash because they are charity cases, but because they have high Q ratings and market research has shown consumers like them.

Sometimes, what is in the sports pages is reflective of what sports editors like, not just at the top but at every level of decision making. I haven't met a ton of them who like women's golf.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wie certainly doesn't further your argument.
    She's falling like an osprey in hunt.

Fact is, Women's tour and Champions Tour are fringe entities.
    The National Nielsen ratings show the Brazil/Chile Copa America game on Sunday had more viewership than the Women's Open. The Mexico/Ecudor match nearly doubled The Open. Both matches were only on cable. So, it's just not me.

EDIT: Whoops. Those are local numbers. Argument stands.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Or, as I heard one radio guy call him: "Davis Love the Turd."

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, your argument stands if you go get the national numbers and they prove your argument.

That's how your argument works.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Is major international soccer being more popular than women's golf supposed to be an insult?

It's like some slim gnome calling Jim Everett .... Chris Evert.

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

Ratings aren't the only indicator of popularity. Sorenstam earned $10 million last year and Wie took in $17M. If that's what you get for playing in a fringe league, I'll take it. People watch when popular players are in the hunt. You can look at the ratings for PGA Tour events when Mr. Woods isn't in the hunt, but you wouldn't be foolish enough to base your assessment of an entire league on it.

7. fishwrapper

Nope. Stands for me. Stands for my readers.
    National numbers aren't available until Wednesday (and, not sure if that will be the case this week).
    I wasn't besmirching soccer. Those two matches were events that took place during the same time slots on Sunday, the day of the Women's Open final -- and they were only available on cable.
    In addition, money isn't an indicator of "newsworthiness" either. Michael Schumacher was the wealthiest athlete alive for a decade. His wins were worth a paragraph.

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

So quick to dismiss the millions. Michael Schumacher earned his money competiting overseas, but both Wie and Sorenstam earn the majority of their money in the U.S. in prize money and sponsorships. The comparison doesn't stand.

I suppose you've cut hockey out of the paper, given the ratings. And you won't be covering the Tour de France for the same reasons?

9. fishwrapper

Hondo just re-posted a post of mine from earlier on this thread.
    I did assess the entire "league" with and without Woods. Without Woods, Golf is Tennis.

10. fishwrapper

Without "outing" myself....only if you knew...

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Oh my god, are you my boss?!?

12. fishwrapper

I doubt it. But, that's very funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted