1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Alcott blasts LA Times on coverage of women's golf

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Jul 2, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think not having anything in the Wednesday edition was so egregious.

As long as they had something Thursday-Monday, they did it all right.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. Maybe they had a preview-featurey thing the previous Sunday or Monday? Even if not, I can't get too bent out of shape over a Wednesday.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

A google search reveals the Times didn't do a preview. But as others have noted, I can't muster the energy/interest to care. Hell, I didn't even know the tournament was being held until I saw some footage on a monitor while working out at my local gym.

I love golf, just not women's golf.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Bull. Interview days with the biggest players are Tuesday, which means often the best profile stories or whatever move that day for Wednesday paper.
    And since when did TV ratings dictate what gets in the paper? Have some balls people and run something that has some history behind it and might actually involve interesting people.
    And no, I'm not a woman golfer.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

Yeah, it's not like anyone plays golf in Southern California

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

reading the bud collins thread, i wondered about this -- where did people play wimbledon coverage as opposed to the women's open. Being a golf fan, I prefer the women's open to wimbledon,where it seems like only one or two players -- men and women -- have a chance to win. at least at the women's open, there was a little mystery about who was going to win. And, natalie gulbis and paula creamer are easy on the eyes.

7. Sammi

Sammi Member

If it was such an important Tournament, why was Amy at home in Pacific Palisades reading her LAT and not in Southern Pines????? ???

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If it weren't for a Black/Filipino kid from Cypress, California, the general sporting audience would only notice golf four times a year...just like tennis.

You think doorknobs like Singh, Els and Goosen are going to carry the sport like Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Trevino, and Zoeller? Tennis is going poof for the same reason. No more Conners and McEnroe, Borg, Becker, Everett and Navritolova. Spoiled, pretentious doorknobs turn people off.

Three words prove my point (or two words and a Roman Numeral): Davis Love III.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto for Florida, but golf coverage at some of the big papers there has changed substantially and not for the better. At some shops it's not going to be a sure thing anymore, even around majors.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Every pro sport has its time.

Last week was women's golf.

It's not as if we're talking about the Betsy King Open in suburban Reading, Pa. You rise up a little bit for the majors ... then it can take its place in the periphery the rest of the time.

If you don't, nobody's going to beat the SE over the head for it ... but he/she is probably not doing the reader a service by ignoring it.

11. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

At the very least, write about the locals in the event (how about a list of local players and/or short preview?). A rookie from SoCal tied for second place.

I'm sure size issues had a lot to do with this decision.

I used to love the LAT. Now, it makes me realize why circulation is down.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't believe the Times staffed the event. It was the Wednesday paper, not Thursday, the day of the first round. I don't think it's all that surprising there wasn't anything in the Times that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted