1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Alcott blasts LA Times on coverage of women's golf

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Jul 2, 2007.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This letter from LPGA star Amy Alcott appeared in the Los Angeles Times Saturday

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lettersfolo30.6jun30,1,5451116.story

I was interested in this line: "It's time The Times and media recognize, pay respect to, and showcase the greatest women golfers in the world so that their fans can follow them, and a new generation of young women playing sports today will have top-notch role models."

Yo Amy, it's up to the golfers to create interest, not the media.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that on Saturday. I'm surprised she didn't say "The women golfers work just as hard as the men."

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep, make someone give a shit, Amy.

Put a gun to their heads.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Paging Birdscribe...

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Well done, sir!

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Let's not get all defensive. If indeed there was no mention of the U.S. Open in Wednesday's L.A. Times, then shame on them. It is a national championship in a high-profile sport.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

YOU'RE COSTING MICHELLE WIE A SCHOLARSHIP

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If we start putting women's golf in the paper, what's next? Pro wrestling? Mixed martial arts? I mean, come on ...

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I'll see you that and raise you all golf that doesn't have Tiger in it. Golf has never gotten any ratings one would consider acceptable for other programming. It's always been on TV because of the demographics, never the size, of its audience.

You can flog any sport as much as you want, but you can't make people watch, and that's the problem a lot of women's sports have on TV. Of course, it's the media's fault when people stay home or watch pretty much anything else.

Give people a reason to watch, and they will. Plain and simple.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You know, I pretty much agree with this. I don't think there's any honest way the LA Times sports editor goes out and surveys the public to find out which stories to run the next day. The editor decides, then tells the people what's important.

The question: Is women's golf important?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We did quite a bit on the U.S. Women's Open. Then again, we were within a two-hour drive.

If it had been on the West Coast? Not so much.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Well played Johnny ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted