1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amusement Park tales

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That’s a more polite way of saying something that I meant to add: the operator might be a moron.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

But at the amusement park the operator might be an 18-year-old kid who stayed up until 4 a.m. the night before. The person checking your lap bar might have passed their 10-question attendant's test an hour ago because the section is short handed and they needed someone to cover a break.
    Having the methed-up carnie pressing the button might be a wash in some cases.

OscarMadison and Vombatus like this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s why I originally left that comment out - I didn’t want to offend any of you!

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, I like to think I was reasonably intelligent and took my job seriously. Most of my friends did, too, at least to the point they knew people (including themselves) could be seriously injured or die if they screwed around. But, looking back, it does amaze me how quickly they entrusted a bunch of teenagers with the operation of multi-million dollar equipment and the safety of hundreds of passengers per day.
    I started working on my ride in late May, having never worked a ride in my life, although I did know a few things from hanging out with rides people for a couple of years before that. By the time I left to go back to school in early August I was certified to train other people how to attend and operate the ride, cross-trained as an attendant on a neighboring rollercoaster, and serving as the shift manager a lot of the time. I don't know if that's a tribute to my own ability, how idiot-proof these rides really are to operate, or the lax standards employed by Six Flags.

Vombatus and OscarMadison like this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The truly certifiable people were the career costume characters. Career is the qualifier here.

Batman and Vombatus like this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that’s not really the issue. That 18 year old didn’t assemble the amusement park ride the night before with a wrench and some duct tape while high as a kite.

The ride operator at the park has a pretty limited safety responsibility. That carnival roller coaster that was on the back of a truck yesterday? I’m not going near that.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

At least at Disneyland the characters fell into two categories: crazy people and Little People.

I used to do “guest control” during the Electrical Parade, so I’d frequently be standing along the parade route. An old high school friend of mine was sometimes Tigger in the parade. I’d know he was working if Tigger slapped my head when I wasn’t looking.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree completely. The permanent rides at the park have an entire maintenance team inspecting them daily and multiple layers of checks and accountability. The carnival rides probably get a quick look-over while being assembled, but I'm guessing there's also plenty of, "Eh, that'll do," and not a huge budget to fix any lingering issues.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have always loved rollercoasters and thrill rides; many times only ones were at the County Fair; so don’t want to think about how lucky I was back then. Love Disneyland in LA, still do.

Draft saved Draft deleted