1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amtrak

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, May 14, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

It's the engineer, not the conductor. Conductors punch tickets.

The engineer has reported no injuries.

The engineer sits on the right side of the engine, not the left.

I think, but I am not sure, that the left windshield was cracked. Not likely to be penetrated. Rocks have been thrown at trains for 185 years. Modern windshields can withstand rocks.

I am still absolutely convinced that the rock/projectile story is not the cause of the accident.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Here's a photo of the windshields. The left (from the engineer's perspective, "right" in the photo) has one circular impact with no cracks emanating from it. The right (left in photo) has five, all with cracks. Those five are in front of the engineer. Also, the right front (left in the image) around the headlights is damaged:

[​IMG]

No penetration is apparent on either side. The one impact on the left windshield is consistent with the rock/projectile report. The five impacts on the right windshield, along with the structural impacts around the headlights, appear to have occurred during the derailment.

If rocks thrown had messed up the engineer's windshield that badly prior to derailment, he damn well would have reported it over the radio to Amtrak officials and NOT just casually discussed it with a SEPTA engineer.

Railroads have police forces to call in order to catch vandals. I'm not making light of throwing rocks at trains, because it is serious and railroads prosecute if they catch offenders. But, the rock throwing was not the cause of the accident.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It wasn't a hairpin turn. It was a curve.
    A big curve, yes. But nothing like a hairpin turn.

Draft saved Draft deleted