1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amtrak Travel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jims242, Jan 12, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's timed so that you go through the less interesting parts of the country at night. The sun comes up as the train's going through Montana, or at least that's how it was a few years back when I took it last.

2. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

when deciding whether to travel by train, you gotta factor in the downtown-to-downtown factor

there's something to be said for walking 5 minutes to the marriott instead of lugging bags to a shuttle bus, waiting in line for a rental car, trying to figure out how the hell to navigate your way out of the airport, getting lost driving downtown, then figuring how and where to park

3. Took the Crescent/Sunset Limited from Atlanta to New Orleans to El Paso .... had the sleeper car, not cheap but a vacation us and the kids are still talking about how much fun we had. No driving, no traffic, no cell phones, no TV.

Also recommend the Grand Canyon Railway from Williams to the South Rim.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I took the Crescent from Hattiesburg to Atlanta one year for the SEC basketball tournament. It was pretty cool. I had two of the big-ass seats to myself, but I would not take that train if I had a meeting I had to get to that day. We were an hour or so late. I'm sure it's different in the northeast corridor, but it's more leisure travel down in this neck of the woods.

5. duckncover

duckncover Member

OK, three pages of thread and no mention of a train going into a tunnel?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The train kept a rolllin alll night long

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The amazing/scary thing about Amtrak is the complete lack of security. Nothing. No metal detectors, bag search, anything. I have to satisfy more security requirements to get into a ballpark where everyone knows me.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's always amazed me too. Its strange. You have to go through scanner at major stops - NY / DC but you could just hop on train in Baltimore.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I just saw this thread for the first time. After reading all of it, I'm still wondering if he'll do her in the caboose.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I've never had security searches at Penn Station in NY or Union Station in Washington.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Every time I've taken a train from Penn Station, I haven't been searched.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

That's why I was curious about the scanners Boom mentioned.
    International trains, maybe? Anything to Canada? Just throwing that out.

Draft saved Draft deleted