1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amtrak Travel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jims242, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Getting ready to book the missus and I on our first long train trip. I've heard it's a nice, romantic way to travel. Well, we will soon find out if this is true to balderdash.

My questions to you is: Has anyone traveled on a long train ride in a Viewliner Roomette and what did you think of it?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Planes don't go where you're going?
    Last few times I looked at a train, the plane was cheaper. And got you there a hell of a lot faster.

3. Jims242

Jims242 Member

I want to do my wife on a train.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Same here.

The extra time usually isn't a problem. The extra cost is.

5. A lot of the travelling on my honeymoon was by train, up and down the west coast. LA to Oregon and back.
    Great trip.
    I never fly to NYC any more. Acela Regional, three sleepy hours from home to midtown. No cab. No tunnel. No bridges.
    I love me some trains.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, then, Amtrak it is - good luck.
    I've done trains and have had great experiences and miserable experiences. Of course, I haven't "done" my wife on one yet so maybe my view is skewed.

7. Must...resist...

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've traveled by Amtrak a few times for long distances. My family and I really enjoy going this way.

PM me and I can provide more info if you want.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

God bless America

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Do you speak from experience? :D

Amtrak can be a good option -- depending on where you are. The Northeast Corridor is best, since the trains run frequently. Problem is, Amtrak has jacked up the fares so much that it's no longer a competitive option. I can drive for much cheaper, tolls and parking included, than take a train to/from NYC.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My family used to take the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle every summer to see the grandparents in Montana. It was a good time.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I was okay with my first Amtrak experience this past summer, but unless you catch one of their weekly sales, it's not the most economic way to go (plane prices for bus travel times and restrooms). On the other hand, you can do your part in propping up a dying, behind-its-time industry. Think of it as the travel world's equivalent of starting a newspaper subscription.

Draft saved Draft deleted