1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amtrak: Cold As Ice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Hey Amtrak, maybe you wouldn't be hemorraging money if you would turn down the damn air conditioning on your trains.

I like taking the train when traveling on the east coast, but every time I do, especially during the summer, the cars are freezing. Last trip I was, the woman next to me came prepared - she had a fleece blanket. Even though it was in the 90s outside, I was wearing 2 sweaters and I was still freezing. Today, same thing. I asked the conductor if they could turn down the a/c (other people were complaining, too) and he just chuckled and said that this is just how it is.

Anyone else experienced this? I'm so cold, I can't concentrate on reading and the hot coffee I got turned cold in mere minutes.
  2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I took an Amtrak from Eugene to Seattle recently and froze. On the way back I made sure to wear a coat. People were staring at me strangely because it was in the 80s outside and I was wearing my winter rain coat, but I was much more comfortable.
  3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I've ridden them in the East and never had that problem. I was on a trip in December one time and the car was sauna hot.
  4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I warmed up a little by pulling my pashmina up around my head (our mothers were right when they told us to wear hats to stay warm.). A woman across the aisle opened her suitcase, put on socks and has random items of clothing piled on. It's insane. I'm getting off the train soon. I cannot wait.
  5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Then when you get outside, the heat will hit like a wave.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It actually felt great. I was surprised.

I am about to email Amtrak to complain.
  7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thank you Peter King
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

... then my cell phone rang. It's was NY Jets QB Brett Favre.
  9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is it willing to sacrifice?
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

I would be relieved to be in a chilly car. But I've been told I'm weird like that a few times in my life ... sometimes, actually for that reason.

I rode on a charter bus once that lost its A/C and it was warm with copious amounts of rain outside. It got hellishly warm in there. I had never been so relieved to get off a bus - before or since.
  11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

No f'ing yogurt pretzels or venti caramel macchiatos in the cafe car. I'm gonna sue.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

... and keep your personal plumbing anecdotes personal, too. :-X
Draft saved Draft deleted