1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amtrak: Cold As Ice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Hey Amtrak, maybe you wouldn't be hemorraging money if you would turn down the damn air conditioning on your trains.

I like taking the train when traveling on the east coast, but every time I do, especially during the summer, the cars are freezing. Last trip I was, the woman next to me came prepared - she had a fleece blanket. Even though it was in the 90s outside, I was wearing 2 sweaters and I was still freezing. Today, same thing. I asked the conductor if they could turn down the a/c (other people were complaining, too) and he just chuckled and said that this is just how it is.

Anyone else experienced this? I'm so cold, I can't concentrate on reading and the hot coffee I got turned cold in mere minutes.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I took an Amtrak from Eugene to Seattle recently and froze. On the way back I made sure to wear a coat. People were staring at me strangely because it was in the 80s outside and I was wearing my winter rain coat, but I was much more comfortable.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I've ridden them in the East and never had that problem. I was on a trip in December one time and the car was sauna hot.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I warmed up a little by pulling my pashmina up around my head (our mothers were right when they told us to wear hats to stay warm.). A woman across the aisle opened her suitcase, put on socks and has random items of clothing piled on. It's insane. I'm getting off the train soon. I cannot wait.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Then when you get outside, the heat will hit like a wave.

Ouch.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It actually felt great. I was surprised.

I am about to email Amtrak to complain.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thank you Peter King

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

... then my cell phone rang. It's was NY Jets QB Brett Favre.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is it willing to sacrifice?

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I would be relieved to be in a chilly car. But I've been told I'm weird like that a few times in my life ... sometimes, actually for that reason.

I rode on a charter bus once that lost its A/C and it was warm with copious amounts of rain outside. It got hellishly warm in there. I had never been so relieved to get off a bus - before or since.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

No f'ing yogurt pretzels or venti caramel macchiatos in the cafe car. I'm gonna sue.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... and keep your personal plumbing anecdotes personal, too. :-X

Draft saved Draft deleted