1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amish School Shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well they are aren't they? It is not like her and the three kids had a part in this. Think how they feel right now, it is just awful for everyone involved.
    Plus the statement doesn't only say pray for "us" it also says pray for the victims' families and also pray for ours. I think it is easily just as fucked up to think of your spouse leaving the house one day and deciding to execute a bunch of small children.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Now is not the time for the family to portray themselves as suffering victims.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If he had been apprehended before he chose to relieve himself of his life's burdens, all the aforementioned torture devices should have been applied while he were kept alive via morphine drip.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For crissakes, Mark, the wife is surely not media-savvy, so she's not likely to come up with a polished statement. I do feel for her and her children; they surely had nothing to do with this. I hope the authorities do talk to her to see if she can enlighten the world on motivation.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is not what the statement is saying. The statement is pointing out that we should all pray for the girls who were killed and pray for the family of the shooter, who's life has been shattered.
    It is OK to be extremely angered at the shooter, but to say that his wife and kids should not be portrayed as victims today is absolutely wrong.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not sure, but they might still be required to pay state property taxes.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. For the rest of their lives, this asshole's wife and kids will be known as "the wife/child of that maniac," She won't be just a mom going for groceries, "she'll be the wife of that maniac buying groceries." Every night when she goes to sleep she'll do it knowing that a man that she loved and devoted the rest of her life to killed a bunch of innocents.

And she'll wonder. She'll wonder if she missed a bunch of signs that could have prevented this. Eventually, she'll probably blame herself, believing that there had to be a some sign - ANY SIGN - that he was on the verge of going batshit crazy and she missed it.

But yeah, you're right. She's not a victim.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Forgive me if these questions seem particularly inappropriate at the moment, but what's with the sudden rash of school shootings? I don't remember so many happening in such a short period of time.
    Also, how were police and other emergency personnel contacted? I'm assuming the Amish don't have telephones so who called 911 and how did they do it?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

One of the teachers, who was not initially let go, ran out during the confusion and ran to a neighboring farmhouse and called the cops. By the time said teacher got there, the shooter had been inside for 36 minutes.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

(shakes head, remembers the "if you can't say something nice" aphorism ... )

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

To say nothing of the kids.

"Your Daddy was a sick motherfucker! At least that's what my daddy said."

"Why did your daddy kill a bunch of little girls?"

Meanwhile, those kids will probably ask themselves, "What did I do to make daddy so mad?"

That family is also going to have to live with this every day, knowing it was there dad/husband who caused all this pain.

These kids and the wife of the shooter had nothing to do with this. They are victims too. Remember Dennis Rader? I remember feeling sorry for his wife/kids too.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Guys, probably I spoke out of anger and frustration earlier.
    No, I don't wish that the family has to live with this - the 1st kid or adult that makes fun of them is scum.
    It's not their fault in the least bit, but I could have done without the immediate PR spin from the wife.
    Just like Rep. Foley - now he's a boozer, cause he wants to lessen the blow that he's a pervert.
    Same with this wife - we all know you're hurting, just worry about the statement till later.

Draft saved Draft deleted