1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amish School Shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just got an e-mail from a local TV station reporting that "a number of people" were shot to death in an Amish school in Pennsylvania.

Initial AP report: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/02/amish.shooting.ap/index.html

NICKEL MINES, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A gunman killed "a number" of people at a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday in Pennsylvania's Lancaster County, state police said.

The shooter was among the dead, state police Cpl. Ralph Striebig said.

"There are a number of people dead," Striebig said. "The exact number I do not know yet."

--

I think I'm going to be sick.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It's all over the cable networks.

Of course, a poster who shall remain unnamed will think it's just a sensationalistic ratings grab by an attention seeker.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I blame video games.

This is obviously a tragedy and I'm being flip. Sorry.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if this was done by an Amish teen in rumspringa, the year or so the elders turn them loose to drink, watch TV, drive cars and have premarital sex?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not a headline you expect to see every day.

Awful.

6. It's not all about the guns.
    But it's a little about all the guns.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I heard that Amish people don't pay taxes and aren't required to register for selective services at age 18 like everyone else here. Is that true?

If it is true, why are the county police and other state-sponsored groups helping? I'm not saying they shouldn't help, because that would be way beyond immoral, but it doesn't seem fair that they get the same rights and help as anyone else without having to shoulder any of the burden.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Our paper won't run school shooting stories on A1 because our editor thinks it inspires copycats. I actually agree with it, because it sure seems like these things happen in clusters.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd hate to think of the Lancaster Intelligencer-Journal following that theory on a day like today.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia...

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I dunno, because it's a normal human response to help people! Jeez, is this really the time and place for this sort of issue?

12. I've dealt with the Amish in a couple of professional capacities. They are decent, honorable people who, whatever you may think of their faith, walk the walk. And they can really cook.

Draft saved Draft deleted