1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America's Safest Cities

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Is your town or favorite stomping place on this list?
    http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/26/safest-cities-ten-lifestyle-real-estate-metros-msa_chart.html?partner=yahoore

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My city isn't listed among those wussies.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Some interesting tidbits in there:

Boston was rated the safest in terms of traffic fatalities; Orlando the worst. I would have probably guessed just the opposite.

Safest place to work (i.e. based on workforce death stats): Minneapolis. Deadliest workplace: Indianapolis. What industries in Indy contribute to that? (Besides the Speedway).

Least likely place for a natural disaster: Milwaukee. I guess a stampede caused by running out of beer at Summerfest doesn't qualify.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jeez, it's not like 100 people die at the Speedway every year. Don't know how my fair city managed to be, um, dead last in that category.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Boston makes sense when you think about how shitty the traffic is there. Cars can't get up enough speed to kill anybody.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Indianapolis is an industrial city in a state that doesn't exactly kill itself, no pun intended, to enforce workplace safety.

Although it's encouraging that you, as a worker, stand a better chance of praying with someone trying to rob you than you do getting shot.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

exactly. Even without traffic the winding roads prevent people from going too fast.....those cows knew how to make a safe path! I wonder if the slower cows stayed to the right on the cow path....hmmmm.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

True, and Orlando's roads are likely rife with rubber-necking turistas driving rented vehicles packed with hyperactive munchkins who can't wait to see Mickey.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Very few workplace deaths in Detroit.

I suppose that's the one positive of massive unemployment in Detroit.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Detroit-Warren-Livonia-

Detroit and Livonia could not be more different. Grouping them together is redonkulous.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

To say nothing of the retirees and snowbirds in their 400 square foot Cadillac death traps.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They were grouped together as a metro area (and most likely places like Troy or Rochester were also included in this).

They just listed three fairly large cities for the bold-faced headline.

Livonia probably helped make Detroit's score better.

Draft saved Draft deleted