1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America's most comprehensive site on sports media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AMacIsaac, Sep 15, 2009.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I don't know if its the owners, publishers and managers' fault. Every sports fan with a computer thinks they're a journalist because they can write a blog. And these blogs are taking away readership from the credible news sources. There's so much of it out there now and most regular joe's not in the business don't even realize the difference between the two. They think they are doing the same thing as us and it's killing what we do.

No matter who you point the finger at, you can NOT argue that blogging is helping journalism.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

To clarify the argument I'm making....

Actual journalists -- like the ones mentioned by Bob Cook in the post above -- having blogs is one thing. They get it. They know what journalism is and they know what blogging is. They still stick to the rules of journalism in their blogs and I have no problem with credible journalists (i.e. people with journalism degrees and real journalism work experience) having blogs. That's fine. What pisses me off to no end though is the "mom's basement" type of blogger. I did not check out any of the blog links on that site so I don't know if they are the good or evil type of bloggers. These are the ones that are getting in the way and undermining what journalists have done for decades -- and stealing away readership.

Again, I know this is way off course from the topic of this thread so sorry for the side rant.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Question for Kindred (and don't make me ask four times!): How often are you writing that column?

Great read, for anyone who has not yet clicked.

Looks like an interesting site...but no anonymous message board?? 8)

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I sure can.

Many of the blogs I read are written by folks who are conscientious enough to source their material and provide links, thus driving readers that interested in the topic to a newspaper's website.

Newspapers are suffering because they have FAILED to participate in and use the technology, not because of people who are using blogs instead of letters to the editor to express their opinions and thoughts.

What you're saying flies in the face of everything intended by Web 2.0 and user-generated content. Newspapers -- and indeed ALL facets of journalism -- need to learn how to properly harness UGC and social-networking opportunities to their benefit.

Some are willing to grasp the reins but, sadly, it sounds like you're willing to founder along in the old ways.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I don't know if you read my last post or not but I tried to clarify my argument. I think its great when journalists have blogs. I agree that newspapers need to get involved. But the key here is that those newspaper reporters are real journalists. They are not just some person with a computer who is pretending to be a journalist and thereby watering down everything that is out there. Real journalists with blogs = no problem. What I have a problem with are the blogs written by fanboys that don't follow any rules at all.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

My initial reaction to seeing this was that the long beloved SportsJournalists.com now officially had its rival. But like somebody else mentioned, they do have an SportsJournalists.com link on there. So perhaps it can be a friendly rivalry.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That site is nothing like this one.

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Sigh ...

FYI: You can't control who writes what where, but thanks for trying.

FYI 2: There are some journalists out there who don't deserve a forum for writing the dreck they shell out.

9. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

21 never has to ask me twice!

Writing weekly......or more often, depending...

All suggestions and questions and whatever are appreciated....

10. VJ

VJ Member

When's the Post book coming out?

11. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

"Next summer," is all I've heard. Book publishing is very imprecise unless you're Grisham...or Feinstein....

12. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

golfnut was bordering on Buzz Bissinger territory for a while, but he seems to have reined himself in.

Draft saved Draft deleted