1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America's most comprehensive site on sports media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AMacIsaac, Sep 15, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Don't know if you've heard ... this news release is dated today. Did a search but didn't find anything so apologies if a DB.

http://sportsjournalism.org/

And the story:

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/11885.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Sept. 15, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana University National Sports Journalism Center today (Sept. 15) launched a new Web site that aims to be the most definitive source of news, information and commentary about sports media in America.

The site, which has the Web address sportsjournalism.org, includes the latest breaking news inside the sports media business, original columns about the industry from three of the nation's top journalists, links to sports media blogs across the country and detailed information about the National Sports Journalism Center.

"This Web site is a must read for anyone interested in the sports media business, working in sports media or studying sports media," said Timothy A. Franklin, director of the National Sports Journalism Center, who will oversee the site.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

at least they include a link for SportsJournalists.com

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Or is that the real SportsJournalists.com?

...Whoa.

4. I'm hooked.
    http://sportsjournalism.org/our-voices/dave-kindred/
    Neat story about Bob Knight at a presser.
    Kindred even has a great quote from the currently embattled Mark Whicker.
    "Sports is life with the volume turned up."

And he's writing a book about two years inside the WaPo sports department.
    I'm partial to Kindred. If he wrote a phone book, I'd read it.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Me, too. Looks like great stuff.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Interesting to note that most of the leadership is former newspaper people. Good for them, both for finding a quality escape route and an opportunity to research just how in the heck we'll survive to the next generation of sports journalists.

I'm glad they have columnists for New Media and Broadcast. And . . . I know it's the Exalted Dave Kindred, but is it wrong that I chuckled when I saw that their "on writing" guy is an old(er) white guy who isn't smiling in his photo?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Oh, fuck me. The hed of the current top story on that site:<blockquote><i><b>Panel: Sports coverage hurting from lack of diversity in newsrooms</b></i></blockquote>It couldn't be the layoffs? Maybe? A small chance?

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Fixed.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They're airing that panel discussion later this year on the Big Ten Network. That's massive television fail, regardless of your take on diversity.

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Anyone else find it ironic that a website about sports media includes links to "sports media BLOGS across the country?" As if they're trying to salvage journalism yet supporting blogs at the same time.

Maybe this needs a topic of its own (probably a DB somewhere) but I personally am sick and fucking tired of hearing about blogs. It's one of the biggest contributors to the death of our industry. Sorry if I got off topic there, I just needed to rant because I found it amusing they are supporting this shit.

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Wrong. Don't take the blame off the people who deserve it: owners, publishers and managers.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Journalism is not confined to newspapers. Anyway, all of the blogs have some relation to coverage of sports media, so what's the harm?

Some interesting people involved with this. However, my one bone to pick (as an alum) is the lack of representation of new media people on the board (the site editor is John Oehser, who wrote for Colts.com and now has his own pro football BLOG!). There is one content producer for ESPN.com, and that's it. This is not to knock who's on there. But if you want a focus on where things are heading, and not merely wring your hands, you need some independent new media voices on the board. There are certainly IU alums who would qualify (other than myself, of course ;) ). I'm thinking in particular of someone like Eamonn Brennan, who blogs for Yahoo, NBC Chicago and independent sites.

Draft saved Draft deleted