1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America's Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jul 22, 2009.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

...I DVR'd the whole lot of America's Games during a marathon on the NFL Network over the 4th. I was finally able to catch up on most of them.

I love the format of three guys talking about the season, it keeps things moving well.

As always each one is excellent in its own right, whether it be because of the personalities they used on the old NFL footage. It definitely loses steam once you get past some of the team's in the 80s and free agency really began to take hold. There isn't the same connection between the...2000 Baltimore Ravens that there is between the 1966 Packers and it's lacking some of the great anecdotes that the older guys have from spending years with the same teammates.

Wondering how many of your have seen these in the past and which ones stick out.

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

There's an NFL Network?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Absolutely love the America's Game series. Can't think of one I didn't enjoy. Well put together, for sure. Great highlights and the insight from the players/coaches are great.

Just a brilliant series.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are fantastic, and the players they selected were very prudent. I mean, who thinks to ask Randy Grossman about the 1970 Steelers?

Although, seeing Dwight White really makes me sad.

I am really looking forward to the Steeler/Cardinal one.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You mean Steelers/Cardinals?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought of them interviewing Grossman, too. Was that the one on the '78 season of '79? I really like when they interview guys who weren't the stars on their teams.

Obviously, the fanboy in me loves the ones about the Steelers. Except even I get sick of all the focus on Jerome Bettis in 2005. Everybody took the easy storyline and beat it into the ground as it was happening. We really didn't need to see it again in the America's Game feature.

Are they still doing new ones? I would also love to see one on the 2008 Steelers. They better have Santonio Holmes as one of the guys they interview. His season was certainly interesting, right up to that amazing finish.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

The Steelers/Cardinals one will air on Sept. 9

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks. I may have to get a DVR so I can set it. :)

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Huge heads up.

Thanks.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The series is just fantastic. I saw most of these over a year ago, but recently saw the 73-74 dolphins again. I know Mercury Morris comes off as an ass every year with the undefeated team thing, but he was great on this one. So was the lineman -(Kuchenberg?)

Anybody want to come up with a top five commenters of all the America's Game participants?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Isn't Leni Riefenstahl the ExecutiveProducer of the NFL Network?

"America's Game" is a pretty damn slick series.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Here's a list of the commenters.... I can't remember any real bad ones.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=7601544

My favorites have been Duane Thomas, Todd Christensen, Gerry Philbin and Adam Vinatieri

Draft saved Draft deleted