1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Americans win Davis Cup. America didn't notice.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 2, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If they played this thing out over a two-week period every year, it might make for a better event. Find a dead period between the US Open and the end of the year, I think there would be more interest. Instead, captains have to go around begging people to play in it four times a year.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I don't think the Davis Cup ever really ends. I think they just got tired of playing, the last stop happened to be in Portland, so they gave it to the US knowing that they'd have to start the whole damn thing over again

3. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

davis cup > college football

4. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

What the fuck is the Davis Cup?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Davis Cup matches are always played in the home country of one of the teams. So it was either going be in the U.S. or in Russia. I think Russia hosted the last Davis Cup match between the two teams, so it was the probably U.S.'s turn.

And if you don't at least know what the Davis Cup, you're a ignorant foof.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They started it in 2006. You missed it.

So did I.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I said it on another thread, but...the day that Canada ever wins the Davis Cup, hell will freeze over.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I know what it is. I have neither the time nor th inclination to follow it around the world 11 1/2 months out of every year.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And not a single person would care...about the Davis Cup, not hell.

I'm not even sure we have any tennis players.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Yeah, but you know what JR, if Canada were ever to win it, trust me, it would make the national nightly news on CTV and CBC.
    Daniel Nestor is a good doubles player, but sucks at singles. Then, there is Frank Dancevic.
    He won a tournament this summer but is currently ranked I believe at 107 in the world. Not that stellar of a ranking.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

CSC.

Daniel Nestor is what, my age? Jesus, the guy was around when they were playing with wooden rackets.

Yeah, we can go around shouting, "We're number 107! We're number 107!".

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

He must be a wealthy Southern man.

Draft saved Draft deleted